GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   OT Wasps and Ladybirds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217087-ot-wasps-ladybirds.html)

Steve[_43_] 03-07-2020 01:20 PM

OT Wasps and Ladybirds

Reluctantly I had to destroy a wasp nest last year
because it was too near my bathroom window and they kept
coming in. This year I haven't seen any wasps at all and
I've only seen a couple of Ladybirds. Has anyone else
noticed the lack of these aphid eaters?
I live in east London.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 03-07-2020 03:36 PM

OT Wasps and Ladybirds

On 03/07/20 13:20, Steve wrote:

Reluctantly I had to destroy a wasp nest last year
because it was too near my bathroom window and they kept
coming in. This year I haven't seen any wasps at all and
I've only seen a couple of Ladybirds. Has anyone else
noticed the lack of these aphid eaters?
I live in east London.

Seen a few wasps scraping wood off fence posts for their nests (also
drinking nearby). There have been a few ladybirds around, but nowhere
near enough to deal with the greenfly - and particularly blackfly -
around at present. Also a few hoverflies.

--

Jeff

Bob Hobden[_6_] 03-07-2020 06:27 PM

OT Wasps and Ladybirds

On 3 Jul 2020 13:20, Steve wrote:

Reluctantly I had to destroy a wasp nest last year
because it was too near my bathroom window and they kept
coming in. This year I haven't seen any wasps at all and
I've only seen a couple of Ladybirds. Has anyone else
noticed the lack of these aphid eaters?
I live in east London.

Plenty of Ladybirds on our allotment (M25/M3 junction) Seen one large
wasp early on, no others.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Nick Maclaren[_5_] 03-07-2020 07:36 PM

OT Wasps and Ladybirds

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
On 3 Jul 2020 13:20, Steve wrote:

Reluctantly I had to destroy a wasp nest last year
because it was too near my bathroom window and they kept
coming in. This year I haven't seen any wasps at all and
I've only seen a couple of Ladybirds. Has anyone else
noticed the lack of these aphid eaters?
I live in east London.

Plenty of Ladybirds on our allotment (M25/M3 junction) Seen one large
wasp early on, no others.

Ladybirds and bees were initially very sparse here, near Cambridge,
but there are now plenty. Wasps are sparse.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Steve[_43_] 05-07-2020 08:33 PM

OT Wasps and Ladybirds

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 18:36:46 -0000 (UTC), Nick Maclaren
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
On 3 Jul 2020 13:20, Steve wrote:

Reluctantly I had to destroy a wasp nest last year
because it was too near my bathroom window and they kept
coming in. This year I haven't seen any wasps at all and
I've only seen a couple of Ladybirds. Has anyone else
noticed the lack of these aphid eaters?
I live in east London.

Plenty of Ladybirds on our allotment (M25/M3 junction) Seen one large
wasp early on, no others.

Ladybirds and bees were initially very sparse here, near Cambridge,
but there are now plenty. Wasps are sparse.

Thanks all for your replies.
I was wondering if it was only my area.