Old 06-07-2020, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Another ID request, please

I'm still trying to identify some of the shrubs my late wife tended and,
last winter, I thought this might be lemon verbena:

http://rance.org.uk/chameau/IMG_0451.jpg

.... but now it's in leaf and in flower I can see that it isn't.

Could someone help, please?

David

Old 06-07-2020, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/2020 10:32, David Rance wrote:
I'm still trying to identify some of the shrubs my late wife tended and,
last winter, I thought this might be lemon verbena:

http://rance.org.uk/chameau/IMG_0451.jpg

... but now it's in leaf and in flower I can see that it isn't.

Could someone help, please?

David

I couldn't place it any closer than a lamiid, so I fed it into PlantNet
Identify. Its top result is Caryopteris x clandonensis, which looks a
reasonable hypothesis. The next two results were Vitex agnus-castus,
which has palmate leaves (not shown in PlantNet's dataset) and Hyssopus
officinalis, which lacks the fimbriate labellum. After that we get low
probability obviously wrong suggestions of Phacelia tanacetifolia,
Mentha pulegium, Mentha cervina, Succia pratensis, Mentha longifolia,
Hebe salicifolia and Veronica spicata.

I think I'm reasonably confident that it's a Caryopteris, and the hybrid
is the dominant taxon in horticulture.

--
SRH
Old 06-07-2020, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/07/20 12:34, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
[...]

I also thought of Caryopteris when I saw the OP's photo. But it also
seemed that it didn't really look quite like x clandonensis itself, as
the leaves seemed a little too narrow. Having another look, I wonder if
it could be Caryopteris x clandonensis "Dark Knight". See photos at
https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/caryopteris-x-clandonensis-dark-knight/
and
https://www.ballyrobertgardens.com/products/caryopteris-x-clandonensis-dark-knight

FWIW, I grow both /Aloysia citriodora/ and /Vitex agnus-castus/, and
it's neither of those.

--

Jeff
Old 06-07-2020, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 13:12:32 Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plant...onensis-dark-k
night/ and
https://www.ballyrobertgardens.com/p...-clandonensis-
dark-knight

FWIW, I grow both /Aloysia citriodora/ and /Vitex agnus-castus/, and
it's neither of those.

Thanks, Stewart and Jeff. That's most informative - and quite a
surprise, not having heard of it before!

I think that Dark Knight in the second URL (ballyrobertgardens) is
pretty close to what I've got, though the serrations of the leaves of my
plant seem more regular than in many of the other photos:

http://rance.org.uk/chameau/IMG_0452.jpg

It has been in a concrete pot for the last five years (possibly longer
as I don't know when my wife planted it). It hasn't grown very much as
I've not paid it any attention until the last few months. I thought it
was a self-set weed but thought I would check it out before I did
anything.

Thanks again, both!

David

Old 06-07-2020, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 06/07/2020 10:32, David Rance wrote:
I'm still trying to identify some of the shrubs my late wife tended and,
last winter, I thought this might be lemon verbena:

http://rance.org.uk/chameau/IMG_0451.jpg

... but now it's in leaf and in flower I can see that it isn't.

Could someone help, please?

I couldn't place it any closer than a lamiid, so I fed it into PlantNet
Identify. Its top result is Caryopteris x clandonensis, which looks a
reasonable hypothesis. The next two results were Vitex agnus-castus,
which has palmate leaves (not shown in PlantNet's dataset) and Hyssopus
officinalis, which lacks the fimbriate labellum. After that we get low
probability obviously wrong suggestions of Phacelia tanacetifolia,
Mentha pulegium, Mentha cervina, Succia pratensis, Mentha longifolia,
Hebe salicifolia and Veronica spicata.

The leaves are wrong for hyssop, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Another ID Request Please thescullster United Kingdom 4 08-05-2020 04:31 PM
Another ID request... Toni Gardening 1 19-04-2005 10:29 PM
Another Flower ID request (Virginia) David Hamilton Cox Plant Science 6 17-10-2004 04:49 PM
another request to id unknown plants audrey Gardening 2 26-08-2003 04:02 PM
Another ID request: Tiny flower, SNP David Hamilton Cox Plant Science 2 16-06-2003 12:20 AM