Old 07-07-2020, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lack of male courgette flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when they
bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready when
the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 07-07-2020, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 11:43:01 +0000, David wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when
they bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready
when the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

Just been given a male flower by a friend who has loads.

We shall see if poking the female flower with some pollen makes a
difference.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 11:43:01 David wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when they
bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready when
the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

My problem at the moment is that I have one or two female flowers open
but no male flowers at all!

Hey, ho! I expect they will appear in due course!

David

Old 12-07-2020, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/07/2020 09:23, David Rance wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 11:43:01 David wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when
they
bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready when
the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

My problem at the moment is that I have one or two female flowers open
but no male flowers at all!

Hey, ho! I expect they will appear in due course!

David

Opposite situation here,

4 very good looking males open, but all the females are shy and have
closed up, whilst others haven't opened up yet.
Old 11-08-2020, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 11:43:01 +0000, David wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when
they bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready
when the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

A month later and I am getting some fertilised courgettes but not that
many.
Most seem to be unfertilised.
However one plant is showing signs of a male flower developing so I could
be in for some rampant courgette sex in a while.

Just visited someone else in passing and they seemed to have all male
flowers and some females.

However I wasn't in a position to pinch some.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 12-08-2020, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2020 18:33, David wrote:
On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 11:43:01 +0000, David wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FMkBFq_V0

Very long winded but the message is to harvest your male flowers when
they bloom then refrigerate or even freeze them so you have males ready
when the females bloom.

Never having had an issue with lack of male flowers before, this is a
"20/20 hindsight" bit of information.

However something to consider for future years, perhaps.

A month later and I am getting some fertilised courgettes but not that
many.
Most seem to be unfertilised.
However one plant is showing signs of a male flower developing so I could
be in for some rampant courgette sex in a while.

Just visited someone else in passing and they seemed to have all male
flowers and some females.

It is an odd year. I have had female flowers from the outset and in a
ratio about 4:1 against males. Usually the slightly immature plant has
half a dozen male flowers before it is anything like the size needed to
support female flowers. As it is with this very warm weather I have to
harvest every couple of days or they would quickly turn into marrows.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown