Old 28-07-2020, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Furcraea

There is a Furcraea growing in the wide verge not far from me, I
presume council-planted, that I walk past quite regularly. It's
probably F. longaeva, aka F. parmentieri I believe. It has recently
finished flowering, and there are a number of kiwifruit-like pods
appearing. I read that the plant dies after flowering, and these pods
fall to the ground and start to grow, making a new generation of
furcraea. But I also read that it has seed pods, and can be grown from
seed.

As I really fancy growing one of these (or several!), and the climate
down here is obviously mild enough to support it, I'm taking 'regular
exercise' in that direction, waiting for the main stem to die and the
pods to drop. But what about the seeds I read about? Are these in
smaller pods, more like traditional seed-pods, or are they actually in
the fat kiwifruit-like pods? If the latter, where are the pods that
simply grow into young plants directly, and what do they look like?

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.