Old 02-08-2020, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple Tree Variety?

I have an old apple tree - at least 40 years old.

It appears to be a cooking ( sour) apple. Is there any way of finding out what variety it might be? Its a very large tree and is full of fruit most years, but this year it has given a bigger display than ever.

It fruits around mid August. It looks similar to a Bramley but the fruit are not as big . The peel is green/ red. Pink blossom (doesnt really look any different to any other apple tree).

I live in Cornwall. Would there have been a particular variety here?

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

april wrote:

It fruits around mid August. It looks similar to a Bramley but the fruit
are not as big . The peel is green/ red. Pink blossom (doesnt really look
any different to any other apple tree).

We're in Suffolk and have a couple of trees that sound similar. They
are definitely cooking apples in that, when cooked, they break down to
a 'saucy' consistency and they're not sweet. The sauce they produce
is even more 'syrupy' than from a Bramley. They ripen earlier than
Bramleys and, like yours, are smaller.

Our trees are in an orchard that was probably planted 30 years or so
ago so would probably be 'modern' varieties (all the other trees are
fairly identifiable - Conference and William pears, Bramley Apples,
Victoria plums, some green plums and a.n.other eating apple).

--
Chris Green
·
Old 02-08-2020, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/08/2020 10:43, april wrote:
I have an old apple tree - at least 40 years old.

It appears to be a cooking ( sour) apple. Is there any way of
finding out what variety it might be? Its a very large tree and is
full of fruit most years, but this year it has given a bigger
display than ever.

It fruits around mid August. It looks similar to a Bramley but the
fruit are not as big . The peel is green/ red. Pink blossom (doesnt
really look any different to any other apple tree).

Simplest way to get an ID is take a couple of representative fruit plus
a picture of the flowers and general shape of the tree along to a local
apple day in the Autumn. Unfortunately there may not be any this year

National Trust and English Heritage places often have such events with a
wide range of unusual locally grown apples on display and an expert on
hand at the weekends. Sometimes they get lucky and see a novel variety.

Experts visited a newly renovated walled garden near me to get samples
of rare old pear trees not previously known in cultivation.

I live in Cornwall. Would there have been a particular variety here?

A lot would have been cider apples.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 02-08-2020, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2020-08-02, Martin Brown wrote:

Simplest way to get an ID is take a couple of representative fruit plus
a picture of the flowers and general shape of the tree along to a local
apple day in the Autumn. Unfortunately there may not be any this year

Make that a few more, about 4-6 specimens if possible. Apples of one
variety can be quite variable - especially colouring depending on whether
they have been in shade or bright sun.