Old 08-08-2020, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bird of prey to act as 'skarecrow'.

Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2020 16:29, Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for
leather jackets.Â* I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and
possibly the odd fox.Â* The main damage is to the green's edges but it is
quite extensive. We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

The most impressive one I have seen is a sillouhette falcoln kite made
of thin black plastic that is on a something like 30' thin fishing pole
high into the air on a length of monofilament. In the breeze it looks
convincingly like a falcon hovering and stopping from time to time. eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Repeller-Sc...dp/B07YW4V3SP/

Not a recommendation the spec is inconsistent and in Chinglish.

I doubt if any bird of prey will discourage foxes, deer or badgers.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-08-2020, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

I doubt if any bird of prey will discourage foxes, deer or badgers.

What we need to recreate Haast's eagle :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

I doubt if crows or rooks or foxes are much disturbed by a 'bird of
prey'.

We have three (or more) buzzards live in the fields near us, they are
regularly mobbed by the rooks and jackdaws. Rooks and jackdaws are
*way* more skilled in the air (and simply smaller and slicker) they
have no fear of large birds of prey. I also see no way at all that a
fox would be put off by a bird of prey.

Is it really crows and magpies that are damaging your green? What are
they actually doing, they're not really the sorts of birds that peck
at a lawn.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 09-08-2020, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Green" wrote in message
Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]

This is from Google:
What birds eat leather jackets?

Crows, magpies, rooks and starlings will search for leatherjackets in turf.
These birds leave small round holes in the turf where they have inserted
their beaks. They will also search for chafer grubs in a similar manner.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2020 21:21, Chris Green wrote:
Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

I doubt if crows or rooks or foxes are much disturbed by a 'bird of
prey'.

Sparrowhawks aren't called sparrowhawks for nothing, although they
prefer a plump pigeon

Only dogs scare foxes

Old 09-08-2020, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]

OK, so they do search for and eat leatherjackets in turf, however my
other comments still apply I think, they won't be put off by fake birds
of prey.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Emrys Davies wrote:
Has anyone had any success in selecting an imitation bird of prey to
frighten off birds which damage our bowling green when hunting for leather
jackets. I think the culprits are carrion crows, magpies and possibly the
odd fox. The main damage is to the green's edges but it is quite extensive.
We will treat appropriately for leather jackets.

I doubt if crows or rooks or foxes are much disturbed by a 'bird of
prey'.

Sparrowhawks aren't called sparrowhawks for nothing, although they
prefer a plump pigeon

.... and a rook or jackdaw (almost certainly with lots more around) is
a much more serious thing to take on than a sparrow, or even a pigeon.

Only dogs scare foxes

Quite.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 09-08-2020, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/08/2020 17:13, Martin Brown wrote:

The most impressive one I have seen is a sillouhette falcoln kite made
of thin black plastic that is on a something like 30' thin fishing pole
high into the air on a length of monofilament. In the breeze it looks
convincingly like a falcon hovering and stopping from time to time. eg

Everywhere I see these used they are not longer there few weeks later
which I suspect is because they are not robust enough to last any longer.

I once bought a decoy Owl (with moving head) to deter pigeons. It worked
for around a day and then the birds got used to it and started feeding
within yards of it.

Old 18-08-2020, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

news
Emrys Davies wrote:
[...]

Having taken the advice of the group that it is unlikely that an imitation
bird of prey would scare the birds I placed an old hose pipe, snakelike,
along the area being attacked and I am pleased to say that, so far - two
weeks - no further damage has been caused.

Bird of prey? RustyHinge United Kingdom 4 13-03-2014 03:20 PM
Bird of prey? CT United Kingdom 1 12-03-2014 12:13 PM
How the Venus flytrap captures its prey... Aozotorp Plant Science 7 31-01-2005 12:58 AM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 11:02 PM
Killing Black birds (and birds of prey) Trish Brown Australia 13 05-04-2003 07:34 AM