Old 24-08-2020, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Foxggloves

I had a single foxglove appear in a tub this year. There are no foxgloves
anywhere in the neighbourhodd that I can see. It flowered well and I moved
it into the garden after flowering.
Now I have another in a different tub looking as if it will flower. I
expected them to have a flowering season, but it seems random.
Any digitalists here?
--
Jim S
Old 24-08-2020, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2020 10:07, Jim S wrote:
I had a single foxglove appear in a tub this year. There are no foxgloves
anywhere in the neighbourhodd that I can see. It flowered well and I moved
it into the garden after flowering.
Now I have another in a different tub looking as if it will flower. I
expected them to have a flowering season, but it seems random.
Any digitalists here?

Foxgloves are opportunists which can turn up almost anywhere. Maybe
there was a seed in the compost you added to the tub or was perhaps in a
pot of something you put in the tub. They are small enough (about 1mm)
to stick to bird's feet if they happen to pick one up which could later
be deposited in your tub.

Although you might not have seen one locally, they favour edges of and
clearings in woodlands. You won't usually see one in an open field where
it would be fairly obvious due to is height.

--

Jeff
Old 24-08-2020, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2020 10:07, Jim S wrote:
I had a single foxglove appear in a tub this year. There are no foxgloves
anywhere in the neighbourhodd that I can see. It flowered well and I moved
it into the garden after flowering.
Now I have another in a different tub looking as if it will flower. I
expected them to have a flowering season, but it seems random.
Any digitalists here?

Sell & Murrell's Critical Flora gives June to September as the flowering
season, but I was recording the species in flower from the middle of May
this year. Peak flowering season is June and July.

--
SRH
Old 24-08-2020, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2020 10:07, Jim S wrote:
I had a single foxglove appear in a tub this year. There are no foxgloves
anywhere in the neighbourhodd that I can see. It flowered well and I moved
it into the garden after flowering.

The seeds are fine like dust and probably arrived on a birds feet or
feathers. Worth taking the seed heads off to encourage more flowers and
avoid having zillions of seedlings. They are not that bad though for
invasiveness since the seedlings flower in their second year of growth.

Some can survive the winter like a short lived perennial. These winters
are so mild recently that pelargoniums and antirrhinums do this too.

Now I have another in a different tub looking as if it will flower. I
expected them to have a flowering season, but it seems random.
Any digitalists here?

I have a variety of them in my garden including pale ones and whites. Do
remember that they are fairly toxic if you have small children about.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 24-08-2020, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2020 10:07, Jim S wrote:
I had a single foxglove appear in a tub this year. There are no foxgloves
anywhere in the neighbourhodd that I can see. It flowered well and I moved
it into the garden after flowering.
Now I have another in a different tub looking as if it will flower. I
expected them to have a flowering season, but it seems random.
Any digitalists here?

a very little. Normally these will flower in early summer and be gone by
now, but seedlings that appear seem to flower later in the first year.
Mostly they are biennials I think

--
“But what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!”

Mary Wollstonecraft

Old 24-08-2020, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Foxgloves are opportunists which can turn up almost anywhere.

Many casuals have seeds that will survive for ages in the soil; I
don't know if foxglove is one such. They evolved to germinate and
set seed when a tree came down in the woodland, and wait in the soil
until that happened again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-08-2020, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/08/2020 16:31, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Foxgloves are opportunists which can turn up almost anywhere.

Many casuals have seeds that will survive for ages in the soil; I
don't know if foxglove is one such. They evolved to germinate and
set seed when a tree came down in the woodland, and wait in the soil
until that happened again.

I once found what I identified as hemlock growing in the front garden. I
have never seen one before or since.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.