Old 02-09-2020, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato Problem

I have 3 tomatoes growing in pots outdoors. I have noticed that one
tomato on each plant instead of starting to ripen has started to turn a
light brown colour. I have also noticed that some of the stems, main and
the branches to fruit trusses have gone a very dark black/brown colour.
Never had either of these problems before, are they linked in some way,
what are they and can I do anything about it?

I should mention the plants did get quite a bashing during the recent
storm winds, being tied close to a wall and one pot falling against another.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2020, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2020 21:51, Pwllgloyw wrote:
I have 3 tomatoes growing in pots outdoors. I have noticed that one
tomato on each plant instead of starting to ripen has started to turn a
light brown colour. I have also noticed that some of the stems, main and
the branches to fruit trusses have gone a very dark black/brown colour.
Never had either of these problems before, are they linked in some way,
what are they and can I do anything about it?

I should mention the plants did get quite a bashing during the recent
storm winds, being tied close to a wall and one pot falling against another.

Thanks

Looks to me as though the plants have blight. They cannot be saved, and
must not be composted (your local authority may accept them as "green
waste", but I wouldn't bother). Put them in a plastic bag and dispose of
them with your general, non-recyclable waste.

If you have lots of green tomatoes which have no trace of brown on them
you can cook them down immediately to make green tomato chutney. Do not
try to keep them on a windowsill to ripen, as the chances are some have
blight and will just turn brown and eventually rot.

--

Jeff
Old 03-09-2020, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2020 21:51, Pwllgloyw wrote:
I have 3 tomatoes growing in pots outdoors. I have noticed that one
tomato on each plant instead of starting to ripen has started to turn a

I also have a tomato problem. Far too many ripening at once:-)

Mike
Old 03-09-2020, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 3 Sep 2020 12:55:51 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

I also have a tomato problem. Far too many ripening at once:-)

Whatever the English version of the "Squeezo Strainer" is could solve
that!

Old 04-09-2020, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 Sep 2020 22:15:46 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

https://bligh****ch.co.uk/
I stopped growing tomatoes outdoors because of blight (which has just the
symptoms that you describe).
I am fortunate to have a covered area at the South facing rear of the
house where I can grow tomatoes out of the rain, and so far that has
worked fine although this does require regular watering.

I have has several Hutton Period Alerts from Bligh****ch this summer, so I
assume the risk of blight is still high.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/09/2020 22:15, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jeff, not the answer I would have preferred though!

Not sure how I failed to find that on a search, plenty of details now,
but having read your response and watched Monty all about it, there is
an unanswered questions.

What about the soil? Yes get rid of the plants, but does the blight
remain in the soil?

Roger T

PS Been trying to send this for several days, without success. Downloads
messages OK, but wont send!

Old 10-09-2020, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/09/2020 20:42, Pwllgloyw wrote:
[...]

There seems to be a difference of opinion on that. Some say it lasts
only a few weeks in soil, others that it can overwinter. There seems to
be a possibility of spore formation (not yet seen in the UK), which
would certainly overwinter. Basically, I would avoid growing any
Solanaceae in that soil for a year. Not just potatoes and tomatoes, but
even ornamentals like petunias.

Roger T

PS Been trying to send this for several days, without success. Downloads
messages OK, but wont send!

Get any error messages?

--

Jeff