Old 06-10-2020, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More figs!

I had a good crop of figs back in July this year, probably the best
ever, and I was able to make several jars of jam as well as passing many
on to my family for eating.

But, for the first time, a second crop is growing and they are now
ripening; I picked about half a dozen this morning. There has always
been a second crop but they've never before come to anything. The best I
could do was to make a little green fig chutney a couple of years ago.
But a week or two ago I did notice that this second crop was growing
larger by the day.

These are about half the size of the summer ones but just as sweet. I'm
surprised as I didn't think that the weather had been all that suitable
for figs this year, especially the last few days with all the cold rain.
Yes, we've had one or two hot spells but they've been interspersed with
cold snaps.

There are literally hundreds of them and I'm wondering just how many
will actually ripen before the frosts come.

Pity I've had to wait thirty years for this!

Old 06-10-2020, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 09:51:27 +0100, David Rance wrote:

[...]

I had a second crop a year or so ago.
We also scrumped a ripe fig a few days ago which was hanging ouver a brick
wall. Best fig ever according to my partner.

My Brown Turkey has a second crop of green figs but they are a bit
reluctant to ripen at the moment.

Times they are a changin.

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)
Old 30-10-2020, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 06 Oct 2020 11:07:59 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Wandering back to note that although a few figs have gone mouldy, I've
just picked a fig that is very nearly fully ripe (75% brown, 25% green)
which is still a bit hard but is definitely a goer.

There is another fig which is changing colour so I have high hopes of that
as well, and another 3 or 4 which look large enough to ripen.

Then again it was about 17 C in the back today.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 31-10-2020, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 19:56:12 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

Once you have seen one....

Out on a walk today before the rain and we saw a tree in a garden with
upwards of a hundred figs, quite a few nearly ripe.

So second crop is really a thing.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 31-10-2020, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 31 Oct 2020 13:08:55 David wrote:

[...]

Indeed! The strange weather we've had this year must be suitable for
figs!

All the leaves from my fig tree have dropped so it's much easier to see
which are ripening, but I'm afraid that mould is setting in now so,
although I've still got a few ripening (I have three or four per day) I
doubt that it'll last much longer.

David

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 05:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 04:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 03:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 07:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 04:11 AM