Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worrizit clematoides

I bought this a while back, and this is the first year it has flowered.
Its growth and foliage is exactly like a clematis, but its flower
isn't. What on earth did I buy?

https://imgur.com/a/ZWuOf7o
https://imgur.com/a/rcJCcNS

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2020 22:42, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I bought this a while back, and this is the first year it has flowered.
Its growth and foliage is exactly like a clematis, but its flower
isn't. What on earth did I buy?

https://imgur.com/a/ZWuOf7o
https://imgur.com/a/rcJCcNS

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Wikipedia offers a list of 18 species.

--
SRH
Old 11-10-2020, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-10-2020, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2020 23:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 17-10-2020, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

I did. I may have it in the wrong place, and have been treating it
wrongly, by cutting it down each winter. Is it likely to survive
transplanting?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 23-10-2020, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/2020 19:27, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

I did. I may have it in the wrong place, and have been treating it
wrongly, by cutting it down each winter. Is it likely to survive
transplanting?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Best try and get some rooted pieces off in the spring (may time) can be
cut away completely after the first frost, right down to the bare soil

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 24-10-2020, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

I did. I may have it in the wrong place, and have been treating it
wrongly, by cutting it down each winter. Is it likely to survive
transplanting?

Best try and get some rooted pieces off in the spring (may time) can be
cut away completely after the first frost, right down to the bare soil

Thanks very much. The latter is what I have been doing.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.