Old 11-10-2020, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Worrizit clematoides

I bought this a while back, and this is the first year it has flowered.
Its growth and foliage is exactly like a clematis, but its flower
isn't. What on earth did I buy?

https://imgur.com/a/ZWuOf7o
https://imgur.com/a/rcJCcNS

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2020 22:42, Nick Maclaren wrote:
I bought this a while back, and this is the first year it has flowered.
Its growth and foliage is exactly like a clematis, but its flower
isn't. What on earth did I buy?

https://imgur.com/a/ZWuOf7o
https://imgur.com/a/rcJCcNS

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Wikipedia offers a list of 18 species.

--
SRH
Old 11-10-2020, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-10-2020, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/10/2020 23:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 17-10-2020, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Apart from the lack of a saucer it seems to fit with Cobaea scandens.
The web is reluctant to disgorge images of species other than Cobaea
scandens and Penstemon cobaea, but Cobaea pringlei has a non-spreading
calyx. Your plant looks somewhat intermediate between Cobaea scandens
and Cobaea pringlei.

Thanks very much - I thought of the former, but there's no saucer
and the flower is the wrong shape. The latter rings a bell, so
that's probably what it is.

I think you may have had it off me some years back Nick, gets big!

I did. I may have it in the wrong place, and have been treating it
wrongly, by cutting it down each winter. Is it likely to survive
transplanting?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.