Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A little sad to see it go but it was time...

As I chucked my disreputable old motorbike-come-gardening jacket in the
dustbin, it's finally too worn out, it occurred to me that it got
retired to gardening duties after I wrote off the bike.

In the early 1980s...

Andy
Old 06-11-2020, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Nov 2020 21:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
As I chucked my disreputable old motorbike-come-gardening jacket in the
dustbin, it's finally too worn out, it occurred to me that it got
retired to gardening duties after I wrote off the bike.

In the early 1980s...

Andy

At least I didn't write mine off, sold it to a collector of classic
British bikes. (Norton Model 18)

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden
Old 07-11-2020, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vir Campestris wrote:
As I chucked my disreputable old motorbike-come-gardening jacket in the
dustbin, it's finally too worn out, it occurred to me that it got
retired to gardening duties after I wrote off the bike.

In the early 1980s...

'bike gear is often good in other areas simply because of its
robustness. I have a pair of old 'bike boots which are near ideal for
strimming and such around the garden.

--
Chris Green
·
Old 07-11-2020, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
As I chucked my disreputable old motorbike-come-gardening jacket in the
dustbin, it's finally too worn out, it occurred to me that it got
retired to gardening duties after I wrote off the bike.

In the early 1980s...

'bike gear is often good in other areas simply because of its
robustness. I have a pair of old 'bike boots which are near ideal for
strimming and such around the garden.

Quite. I keep getting requests for old clothing but, by the time
it is no longer fit even for gardening, ....

I used a pair of cheap motorcycling gauntlets for cycling, which
were ideal when it was bitterly cold or freezing rain - I rode
to work in almost all weather.

My first pair of gardening boots were my old walking boots, bought
when the British army changed from hobnailed to rubber ones - and,
when I threw them out, the looked much like this but without the
stuff above the ankle:

https://www.judaica-art.com/vincent-...oductions.html

My current ones are some Dickies steel-capped workboots, but some
decades of the organisms in my compost has almost destroyed the oil
and chemical resistant soles. I may have to but some more :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2020 14:19, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Chris Green wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

For gardening footwear I buy cheap Goretex shoes via eBay. Just paid
£5.50 for a pair of chunky Clarkes Goretex shoes to replace the current
3 year old much abused, soles almost worn through yet still comfortable
and waterproof pair.