Old 20-11-2020, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hot and cold composting

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/11/2020 07:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Peeing on your compost heap was recommended here several times a few
years ago.

Given that it has been SOP for millennia, and I remember it being
recommended here within a year or two of this newsgroup being started,
that's playing it down!

I do wonder, being male, of a certain age, and with the compost heap
being some distance from the house, whether such an activity will become
physiologically "de rigueur" in the future. :-)

Mine is c. 4' high and I am no longer, er, up to it :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-11-2020, 03:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/11/2020 15:06, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/11/2020 07:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Peeing on your compost heap was recommended here several times a few
years ago.

Given that it has been SOP for millennia, and I remember it being
recommended here within a year or two of this newsgroup being started,
that's playing it down!

I do wonder, being male, of a certain age, and with the compost heap
being some distance from the house, whether such an activity will become
physiologically "de rigueur" in the future. :-)

Mine is c. 4' high and I am no longer, er, up to it :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine is the size of a container. Shipping container, and I am only
halfway through cutting back 20 year old yews, and hornbeams and another
bloody great tree has fallen over...and the new woodshed is full already...

....But I have been impressed with the bedroom wood-burning stove's
ability to chew through very small branches and generate tropical
conditions.

--
"Nature does not give up the winter because people dislike the cold."

― Confucius
Old 21-11-2020, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff Layman wrote:
On 20/11/2020 07:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Peeing on your compost heap was recommended here several times a few
years ago.

Given that it has been SOP for millennia, and I remember it being
recommended here within a year or two of this newsgroup being started,
that's playing it down!

I do wonder, being male, of a certain age, and with the compost heap
being some distance from the house, whether such an activity will become
physiologically "de rigueur" in the future. :-)

Mine is c. 4' high and I am no longer, er, up to it :-(
Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine is the size of a container. Shipping container, and I am only
halfway through cutting back 20 year old yews, and hornbeams and
another bloody great tree has fallen over...and the new woodshed is
full already...

For the last two years I have been lowering my hornbeam hedge in France
to about three feet as I no longer want to totter on a stepladder to
keep it in order. I haven't been able to visit France at all this year
and my son-in-law, who visited recently to check on the house, sent a
photo back which showed that it has grown as high as ever!

I wouldn't have planted hornbeam but when there was a remembrement some
thirty years ago, I was given the hornbeam free by the local authority.

David

Old 21-11-2020, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jeff LaymanÂ* wrote:
On 20/11/2020 07:15, Chris Hogg wrote:

Peeing on your compost heap was recommended here several times a few
years ago.
Â*Given that it has been SOP for millennia, and I remember it being
recommended here within a year or two of this newsgroup being started,
that's playing it down!

I do wonder, being male, of a certain age, and with the compost heap
being some distance from the house, whether such an activity will
become
physiologically "de rigueur" in the future. :-)
Â*Mine is c. 4' high and I am no longer, er, up to it :-(
Â* Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine is the size of a container. Shipping container, and I am only
halfway through cutting back 20 year old yews, and hornbeams and
another bloody great tree has fallen over...and the new woodshed is
full already...

For the last two years I have been lowering my hornbeam hedge in France
to about three feet as I no longer want to totter on a stepladder to
keep it in order. I haven't been able to visit France at all this year
and my son-in-law, who visited recently to check on the house, sent a
photo back which showed that it has grown as high as ever!

I wouldn't have planted hornbeam but when there was a remembrement some
thirty years ago, I was given the hornbeam free by the local authority.

David

I love it - only thing on super wet clay - but it has to be kept in its
place.

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Cold composting Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 7 18-04-2019 09:10 AM
Cold, Cold, Cold Dave Hill United Kingdom 18 12-12-2010 01:29 PM
Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Composting anything was Composting ivy Reid© United Kingdom 5 29-09-2003 09:02 PM