Old 11-05-2003, 01:44 AM
StormCrow

Default Horse Chestnut Seedlings

Anyone got any ideas what I can do with 6 horse chestnut seedlings
that I am growing. I don't have any space in my garden for them and I
am reluctant to just throw them away.
Is there anywhere where I can donate them, I would rather they were
allowed to continue to grow somewhere.

Thanks

ps also got about 8 oak seedlings just begining to stick there heads
out of the soil, so same applies to them, what can I do with them?

Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Stephen Goodall

Find a local wood and if it has a park ranger ask them if you can plant them
in an opening in the wood.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Mike

In article , StormCrow
writes
Anyone got any ideas what I can do with 6 horse chestnut seedlings
that I am growing. I don't have any space in my garden for them and I
am reluctant to just throw them away.
Is there anywhere where I can donate them, I would rather they were
allowed to continue to grow somewhere.

Thanks

ps also got about 8 oak seedlings just begining to stick there heads
out of the soil, so same applies to them, what can I do with them?

Get in touch with the Tree Preservation Officer in your local council, I
feel sure they will tell you what to do with them. I found our TPO very
helpful over the matter of trees on our Sports Ground we are
resurrecting and what made me think of your TPO was the fact that she
made a TPO on a Huge Horse Chestnut in one corner.

Most of our trees are coming out except a few pines and a few others. It
had crossed my mind to have one of the Oaks from you and plant it on
opening day!!! Will give it further thought when I consulted the rest of
the committee.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 11-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Chris Stewart

"StormCrow" wrote in message
Anyone got any ideas what I can do with 6 horse chestnut seedlings
that I am growing. I don't have any space in my garden for them and I
am reluctant to just throw them away.
Is there anywhere where I can donate them, I would rather they were
allowed to continue to grow somewhere.

Thanks

ps also got about 8 oak seedlings just begining to stick there heads
out of the soil, so same applies to them, what can I do with them?

Golf courses are often looking for replacements - I've given a few pot grown
seedlings ( 3 year / 4 year old) to a local course which made a donation to
a charity.

Chris

Old 13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
StormCrow

On Sun, 11 May 2003 11:53:43 +0100, Mike
wrote:

Get in touch with the Tree Preservation Officer in your local council, I
feel sure they will tell you what to do with them. I found our TPO very
helpful over the matter of trees on our Sports Ground we are
resurrecting and what made me think of your TPO was the fact that she
made a TPO on a Huge Horse Chestnut in one corner.

Most of our trees are coming out except a few pines and a few others. It
had crossed my mind to have one of the Oaks from you and plant it on
opening day!!! Will give it further thought when I consulted the rest of
the committee.

Mike

Thanks everyone for the info at least I have a few options of what I
can do with them once they become too big for my small garden.

Mike if you want some of these oak seedlings ( they are very small at
the moment 2") you are very welcome to them all I need to do is to
figure out the safest way of posting them, anyone got any sugestions?

Thanks

Old 13-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Mike

In article , StormCrow
writes
wrote:

Most of our trees are coming out except a few pines and a few others. It
had crossed my mind to have one of the Oaks from you and plant it on
opening day!!! Will give it further thought when I consulted the rest of
the committee.

Mike

and I have a committee meeting on Wednesday

Thanks everyone for the info at least I have a few options of what I
can do with them once they become too big for my small garden.

Mike if you want some of these oak seedlings ( they are very small at
the moment 2") you are very welcome to them all I need to do is to
figure out the safest way of posting them, anyone got any sugestions?

it depends what part of the country you are in. I am in the Isle of
Wight but travel about quite a bit on various missions.

For example on the weekend of 23rd - 26th May I am in Derbyshire/ Stoke
on Trent at the Moorcroft Pottery Factory. The following weekend I am
Chatham Kent. I come/go up to the Midlands quite a lot, Leicester,
Leamington Spa and Birmingham. In October/November I am in Torquay and
then Scarborough so I feel sure that somehow we can make arrangements
before the Oak Trees are toooooooooooo big for the car ;-)

Even if I am not coming close to you, I have members of the various
organisations coming to Reunions and if one is near to you, they would
be only too pleased to collect and bring to the reunion.

We can arrange something and thanks for the offer.

Old 13-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Judith Lea

In article , StormCrow
writes
Mike if you want some of these oak seedlings ( they are very small at
the moment 2") you are very welcome to them all I need to do is to
figure out the safest way of posting them, anyone got any sugestions?

In the middle of an empty loo roll
--
Judith Lea

horse chestnut(conker tree) Simon United Kingdom 5 04-10-2009 09:08 PM
horse chestnut trees problem Smokeyone Gardening 4 28-10-2004 12:52 PM
growing fir cones and horse chestnut? Bry United Kingdom 19 09-10-2003 05:23 PM
[IBC] Horse Chestnut Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Horse Chestnut John Kelway Bonsai 2 27-08-2003 08:42 PM