GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bulb fennel - no bulb, no seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217316-bulb-fennel-no-bulb-no-seeds.html)

David[_24_] 29-11-2020 07:46 PM

Bulb fennel - no bulb, no seeds

I grew some bulb fennel from seed, and planted it out in a plastic trough.
The result is no bulb (there was a hint of one at one point) and no seed.

However there is now new growth from the base.

I am a little bemused by this because I thought you could use bulb fennel
as a multi-purpose crop for leaves and seeds if you don't harvest the
whole plant for the bulb.

I am now wondering if a bulb might be produced in the second or subsequent
season.

Any experiences?

Cheers

Dave R

Bob Hobden[_8_] 30-11-2020 01:58 PM

Bulb fennel - no bulb, no seeds

On 29 Nov 2020 19:46:51 GMT, David wrote:
I grew some bulb fennel from seed, and planted it out in a plastic trough.
The result is no bulb (there was a hint of one at one point) and no seed.

However there is now new growth from the base.

I am a little bemused by this because I thought you could use bulb fennel
as a multi-purpose crop for leaves and seeds if you don't harvest the
whole plant for the bulb.

I am now wondering if a bulb might be produced in the second or subsequent
season.

Any experiences?

Normally it grows with bulb and then when big enough runs to
flower/seed quite quickly. Certainly not a second season crop, indeed
two or three months at most.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden