Old 06-12-2020, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pollination partner

I have some truly ancient greengage trees that often produce huge crops.
They are riddled with a fungus that kills them but even cutting them to
stumps still results in new healthy shoots that go on to bear moire
fruits...

They were here when I bought the place 30 years ago, as was also a
mirabelle tree - or some sort of wild looking small green plum. Those
fruits were sweet but lacking in flesh.

Anyway that's just keeled over - exposing rotted and snapped roots. And
its going to take its last bow as winter firewood for 2012/2022 but,
have I lost the tree that pollinated my other gages?

Otherwise I'll probably plant a Czar plum there instead...

I seem to recall it neither flowers nor fruits at the same time as the
gages.

private property.

Karl Marx

Old 06-12-2020, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Dec 2020 12:32, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I have some truly ancient greengage trees that often produce huge crops.
They are riddled with a fungus that kills them but even cutting them to
stumps still results in new healthy shoots that go on to bear moire
fruits...

They were here when I bought the place 30 years ago, as was also a
mirabelle tree - or some sort of wild looking small green plum. Those
fruits were sweet but lacking in flesh.

Anyway that's just keeled over - exposing rotted and snapped roots. And
its going to take its last bow as winter firewood for 2012/2022 but,
have I lost the tree that pollinated my other gages?

Otherwise I'll probably plant a Czar plum there instead...

I seem to recall it neither flowers nor fruits at the same time as the
gages.

Take a look at this site...

Take a look at this...
https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/...er.aspx?v=1249

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden
Old 06-12-2020, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/12/2020 15:42, Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Bob MANY thanks. That settles it. A Czar it is. It looks like that will
cross pollinate nicely

--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump