GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Greenhouse wifi ! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217354-greenhouse-wifi.html)

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-01-2021 03:37 PM

Greenhouse wifi !

Trying to get a wifi signal up into the greenhouse, house walls are
blocking the signal from the router, have tried using those plug in
things that you can pair up but the greenhouse has a different fuse to
the indoors and it didnt work (also I want to use a tablet rather than
plug in my laptop) any suggestions?
NB we dont have a mobile phone signal worth the name on any network or I
could use that as the tablet has a sim card
--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

David[_24_] 20-01-2021 04:34 PM

Greenhouse wifi !

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 15:37:45 +0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Trying to get a wifi signal up into the greenhouse, house walls are
blocking the signal from the router, have tried using those plug in
things that you can pair up but the greenhouse has a different fuse to
the indoors and it didnt work (also I want to use a tablet rather than
plug in my laptop) any suggestions?
NB we dont have a mobile phone signal worth the name on any network or I
could use that as the tablet has a sim card

Can you run a cable from the house to the greenhouse?
Wired is usually the best way if you can.

Alternatively have a socket added to the circuit which goes to the
greenhouse near to the fuse board so you can get two sockets on the same
circuit.

Cross posted to uk.d-i-y because this is in their territory.

Cheers

Dave R

Martin Brown[_3_] 20-01-2021 05:01 PM

Greenhouse wifi !

On 20/01/2021 15:37, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Trying to get a wifi signal up into the greenhouse, house walls are
blocking the signal from the router, have tried using those plug in
things that you can pair up but the greenhouse has a different fuse to
the indoors and it didnt work (also I want to use a tablet rather than
plug in my laptop) any suggestions?
NB we dont have a mobile phone signal worth the name on any network or I
could use that as the tablet has a sim card

I have one suggestion that might work but it does mean running a router
and a Wifi dongle at the far end. It might or might not work depending
on range and line of sight issues. Using an older version of the same
kit I was able to extend my home wifi to our village hall for lectures.
That is about 300m through two Victorian solid 3 brick walls and a roof.

Router that accepts a dongle for fallback operation +
Morgan High gain Wifi dongle

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/pr...-with-Antenna/

(its a new model and I can't tell if the antenna detaches on that one)

If that works OK then you are all set (can test with a portable pc too)

Otherwise Solwise high gain external antenna and a cable to match it to
the dongle above. Range with that combo was ~500m here in free air.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-o...panel-10pn.htm

(or perhaps the next gain higher for £12 more)

Alignment to the base station is necessary but should be a one time
thing and greenhouses have plenty of glass so signal should be OK.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 20-01-2021 11:03 PM

Greenhouse wifi !

On 20/01/2021 15:37, Charlie Pridham wrote:
Trying to get a wifi signal up into the greenhouse, house walls are
blocking the signal from the router, have tried using those plug in
things that you can pair up but the greenhouse has a different fuse to
the indoors and it didnt work (also I want to use a tablet rather than
plug in my laptop) any suggestions?
NB we dont have a mobile phone signal worth the name on any network or I
could use that as the tablet has a sim card

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Thanks for both those suggestions, I will investigate tomorrow (or next
wet day!)

If anyone is wondering why I am trying to arrange this its to do with
taking credit card payments, up to now we have just had people come down
to the house which is only a few yards away, and used the tablet and
card reader there, but clearly that cant happen at the moment

Martin Brown[_3_] 21-01-2021 09:02 AM

Greenhouse wifi !

On 20/01/2021 15:37, Charlie Pridham wrote:

NB we dont have a mobile phone signal worth the name on any network or I
could use that as the tablet has a sim card

There is another possibility but it is more fiddly that the other one I
suggested which is OK for the relatively low bandwidth you would need
for a credit card machine.

Hauwei Mifi pebble with and external antenna capability
Yagi antenna for appropriate waveband on your nearest mast
Interconnect cable
Three 200MB/month for free SIM (or a 12 month EE/Three data SIM)

I have worked masts up to 25 miles away with that setup. It is fiddly to
get going the first time. You really need the antenna on a tripod with a
pan tilt head to do fine adjustments. The high gain and directionality
come at a price but you can turn no signal into a 20MB link or better.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown