Old 06-02-2021, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter is coming (Suffolk)

Noting that after asking about planting up fruit trees from pots, and
deciding to wait until the ground is not waterlogged (hah!) I have now
moved the pots under cover.

They would probably be fine, as fig and olive trees in pots have been fine
through harsh winters, however better safe than sorry.

Now wondering how far under the sheltered area the snow will drift on
Sunday.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/02/2021 13:41, David wrote:
Noting that after asking about planting up fruit trees from pots, and
deciding to wait until the ground is not waterlogged (hah!) I have now
moved the pots under cover.

They would probably be fine, as fig and olive trees in pots have been fine
through harsh winters, however better safe than sorry.

Now wondering how far under the sheltered area the snow will drift on
Sunday.

Well, the further the better, really. If the snow builds up around the
pots, it will protect them from cold. If over the soil in the pots it
could well help cutting down desiccation by the wind, which I understand
is going to be very strong. Anyway, fruit trees should be fine.

I hope it doesn't get too bad there; the weather forecast for that area
is not exactly promising!

--

Jeff
Old 06-02-2021, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Feb 2021 16:08:25 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

On 06/02/2021 13:41, David wrote:
Noting that after asking about planting up fruit trees from pots, and
deciding to wait until the ground is not waterlogged (hah!) I have now
moved the pots under cover.

They would probably be fine, as fig and olive trees in pots have been
fine through harsh winters, however better safe than sorry.

Now wondering how far under the sheltered area the snow will drift on
Sunday.

Well, the further the better, really. If the snow builds up around the
pots, it will protect them from cold. If over the soil in the pots it
could well help cutting down desiccation by the wind, which I understand
is going to be very strong. Anyway, fruit trees should be fine.

I hope it doesn't get too bad there; the weather forecast for that area
is not exactly promising!

Under cover is the deck at the back of the house with a plastic roof.
The trees are close to the bifolds.
Snuggled up to the Perlagoniums and the lemon trees.

So if they are covered then the back of the house will be.

Also have a long car port up the side of the house which joins onto the
veranda and which we use for storage.
So some all round concern about seriously drifting snow.

Cheers

Dave R