Old 19-02-2021, 05:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Weatherproof electrical enclosure

On 19/02/2021 10:17, wrote:
On 19/02/2021 09:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That's a good idea, but I am now wondering if it is wise to bolt
unearthed metal catches to a plastic box containing electrical
equipment?

Everything is touch safe, and would be fine to be exposed, if
indoors.

Chris

That will depend on clearance distances inside the box. If you're
concerned you could create a cover over the fixings inside the box

I said it before but was ignored

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Odds%20and%20Ends/box2.JPG

Standard weatherproof 'sub consumer unit' DIN rail box.
You can fit anything in it that sits on a DIN rail. so switches and 13A
sockets are available - and you fill up the spare space with
blankin``````````````````````g plates

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Enclosure-O.../dp/B07CJS3J6L
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIN-RAIL-...-/182764232004

knock out or drill cable connections and fit whatever glands you want.
Screw through back to wall etc and then mastic the screw holes.

No user touchable metal involved. Neat and workmanlike

--
The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to
rule.
Old 20-02-2021, 09:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I did see your suggestion last time, but it doesn't meet
my spec. I would like tool-free access, and provision for simply
laying cables in under seals, as required.

None of the intended contents, which I already have, are DIN
mounted.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 13-03-2021, 10:42 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Steve Walker wrote:

On 19/02/2021 15:25, wrote:
On 19/02/2021 12:42, Steve Walker wrote:

Just bolt them on with plastic screws. That is what I have done when
mounting a central heating relay box by bolting it through a support
that can be accessed from the back.

I've used plastic screws for static things, but I didn't suggest that in
this case because I didn't know whether they would cope with the loading
from an over-centre catch.

It's only holding a lid shut, it is not a heavily loaded item like a
case, so it only needs small, lightly loaded catches.

The job is now done, thanks to all for their contributions.
Selecting the right components took much longer than actually
doing the job.

I used these catches
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233457076441

with some M5 nylon fittings.

The catches were just right for the size and shape of the box I
had to work with, and had sufficient adjustment to get the
compression correct. I may slip a nyloc nut on to prevent further
movement.

An oversight was that the handle side needed countersunk heads to
avoid a foul. I used woodscrews into offcuts inside the box,
which effectively prevented them from being accidentally exposed
to any electrical contact.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Backfill jj's filter, or build an enclosure? Chris Ponds 3 16-06-2005 07:15 PM
Got my new enclosure finished Roy Ponds 0 09-08-2004 03:41 AM
Mini - greenhouse or some kind of enclosure for tomatoes Chris United Kingdom 0 23-05-2004 04:11 PM
Pump enclosure ideas? ttalbls Ponds 2 30-03-2004 01:33 AM
disguising plumbing, electrical? rasta Ponds 0 22-01-2004 09:18 PM