GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weatherproof electrical enclosure (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217378-weatherproof-electrical-enclosure.html)

Chris J Dixon 10-02-2021 01:34 PM

Weatherproof electrical enclosure

On an external wall I have a pair of weatherproof sockets, and
from one of them I run a plug lead feed to a box housing a timer
and the transformer for my water feature pump, which is off
during winter.

I also use the timer to feed some of my Christmas lights.

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

I would like tool-free access, seals for cable entry,
wall-mounting, facility to terminate a flexible conduit for the
LV pump outgoing feed.

Searches seem to offer two basic variants, both of which I have
already used for Christmas lights.

The Masterplug WBX is nicely made, but I don't think it is big
enough to accommodate the transformer.

https://www.masterplug.com/uk/outdoor/accessories

DriBox 330 is plenty big enough, but not really suitable for
wall-mounting, and not intended for permanent installation.

http://dri-box.com/

Any other suggestions?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 10-02-2021 01:50 PM

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
[...]

This one is 380 x 300 x 18mm:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GWBX15127.html

Other sizes available. See Bottom quarter of page (Weatherproof - IP56
Moulded Boxes) at:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Adaptable_Moulded/index.html

--

Jeff

[email protected] 10-02-2021 01:50 PM

[...]

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

newshound 10-02-2021 02:21 PM

On 10/02/2021 13:50, wrote:
[...]

+1. That's what I've done for my old Makita drill (from the days when
they had plastic, rather than metal catches).

Chris J Dixon 10-02-2021 02:54 PM

Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those, but they seem to miss two items in my target
specification: tool-free access, seals for cable entry.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Chris J Dixon 10-02-2021 02:59 PM

wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] 10-02-2021 03:08 PM

[...]

Try a din rail enclosure. I used one of these to house a circuit breaker,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and pop a couple of these in it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIN-RAIL-...-/182764232004

Chris

Josef Stalin

Jeff Layman[_2_] 10-02-2021 03:09 PM

On 10/02/2021 14:54, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

Oh dear! I should read the spec! Well, these aren't exactly to spec,
either, but are better. The "tool" to open can be left in place, and
cable entry should be relatively easy to deal with (perhaps with the
"Hockey sticks" on page 6):

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Mitras/Meterboxes_Brochure.pdf

--

Jeff

[email protected] 10-02-2021 05:47 PM

On 10/02/2021 14:59, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

Chris

errr, try searching for overcentre catch

Chris J Dixon 10-02-2021 06:12 PM

wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

errr, try searching for overcentre catch

Yes, I have done so,and the choice is vast. I was simply
wondering if you had personally done that which you are
suggesting, and been happy with what you used, or simply offering
an option.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

[email protected] 10-02-2021 11:10 PM

wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

errr, try searching for overcentre catch

Yes, I have done so,and the choice is vast. I was simply
wondering if you had personally done that which you are
suggesting, and been happy with what you used, or simply offering
an option.

Chris

They are simple devices, just choose one that will fit whatever space
you've got. Personally, on a box with mains inside, I would want to be
able to padlock the box shut so would choose one with appropriate lugs.

Andy Burns[_7_] 11-02-2021 09:45 AM

Weatherproof electrical enclosure

Chris J Dixon wrote:

Any other suggestions?

The BG model WP23L has a deep cover to accommodate wall warts etc ...

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/public/downloads/data-sheets/weatherproof/WP21_WP22_WP23_WP24_13amp_Socket_Outlets.pdf

https://www.sparkswarehouse.com/products/WP23L-weatherproof-13A-1-gang-double-pole-unswitched-socket-large-housing

Chris J Dixon 13-02-2021 10:03 AM

wrote:

On 10/02/2021 13:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The plastic catches for the existing enclosure have now sheared
off, after about 15 years' service. That particular design does
not seem to be around any more.

Any other suggestions?

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That may well be worth investigation. Any particular
recommendations?

errr, try searching for overcentre catch

They are simple devices, just choose one that will fit whatever space
you've got. Personally, on a box with mains inside, I would want to be
able to padlock the box shut so would choose one with appropriate lugs.

I have no need to lock the box. In any case, the box already has
provision for this. Everything inside is touch-safe, and would be
perfectly fine indoors. I just need to keep it dry.

However, you have now made me wonder if it is wise to bolt
unearthed metal catches to a plastic box?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Chris J Dixon 19-02-2021 09:39 AM

wrote:

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That's a good idea, but I am now wondering if it is wise to bolt
unearthed metal catches to a plastic box containing electrical
equipment?

Everything is touch safe, and would be fine to be exposed, if
indoors.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

[email protected] 19-02-2021 10:17 AM

On 19/02/2021 09:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
wrote:

If the current box is still sound it's not difficult to find over-centre
catches to DIY a repair.

That's a good idea, but I am now wondering if it is wise to bolt
unearthed metal catches to a plastic box containing electrical
equipment?

Everything is touch safe, and would be fine to be exposed, if
indoors.

Chris

That will depend on clearance distances inside the box. If you're
concerned you could create a cover over the fixings inside the box