#1   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2021, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 18
Default Oleander

We have a 9ft tall flesh pink flowered Oleander in the corner of our
garden, been there years. It's now got too big and floppy for itself.
Can I prune it hard back into the old weed? I did take cuttings last
year which have taken so there are some tiny backups.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden

  #2   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2021, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,871
Default Oleander

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:58:55 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

We have a 9ft tall flesh pink flowered Oleander in the corner of our
garden, been there years. It's now got too big and floppy for itself.
Can I prune it hard back into the old weed? I did take cuttings last
year which have taken so there are some tiny backups.


Looks like now's a good time to do it.

From https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Pruning and training

Flowering occurs in late summer (July to October) on new shoots of the
current seasonís growth, so prune in late winter or early spring.
Gloves should be worn when pruning as the sap is potentially harmful.

Remove all thin, crowded shoots
Cut off the tips (a few centimetres/inches) of the branches/shoots to
encourage side shoots to grow and make the plant bushier
Cut flowered shoots by half and the side shoots to 10cm (4in)
If over-wintering large plants is difficult, reduce the plantís size
in late autumn
Plants can be left un-pruned to grow into large bushes where space
allows in conservatory beds or where plants are regularly re-potted
Plants restricted in containers will flower less and become less
vigorous over time and will need to be replaced


Also see
https://hellogardening.co.uk/nerium-...wing-and-care/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...der-shrubs.htm

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.
  #3   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2021, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 18
Default Oleander

On 21 Feb 2021 17:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:58:55 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

We have a 9ft tall flesh pink flowered Oleander in the corner of our
garden, been there years. It's now got too big and floppy for itself.
Can I prune it hard back into the old weed? I did take cuttings last
year which have taken so there are some tiny backups.


Looks like now's a good time to do it.

From https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Pruning and training

Flowering occurs in late summer (July to October) on new shoots of the
current seasonís growth, so prune in late winter or early spring.
Gloves should be worn when pruning as the sap is potentially harmful.

Remove all thin, crowded shoots
Cut off the tips (a few centimetres/inches) of the branches/shoots to
encourage side shoots to grow and make the plant bushier
Cut flowered shoots by half and the side shoots to 10cm (4in)
If over-wintering large plants is difficult, reduce the plantís size
in late autumn
Plants can be left un-pruned to grow into large bushes where space
allows in conservatory beds or where plants are regularly re-potted
Plants restricted in containers will flower less and become less
vigorous over time and will need to be replaced


Also see
https://hellogardening.co.uk/nerium-...wing-and-care/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...der-shrubs.htm


Thanks Chris, my problem is I need to hard prune it and I cannot find
out how it will respond to that treatment. Think I'll go down the usual
trick of half this year and the rest next if it works OK.
--
Regards.
Bob Hobden
  #4   Report Post  
Old 21-02-2021, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,148
Default Oleander

On 21/02/2021 18:35, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 21 Feb 2021 17:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:58:55 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

We have a 9ft tall flesh pink flowered Oleander in the corner of our
garden, been there years. It's now got too big and floppy for itself.
Can I prune it hard back into the old weed? I did take cuttings last
year which have taken so there are some tiny backups.


Looks like now's a good time to do it.

From https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Pruning and training

Flowering occurs in late summer (July to October) on new shoots of the
current season’s growth, so prune in late winter or early spring.
Gloves should be worn when pruning as the sap is potentially harmful.

Remove all thin, crowded shoots
Cut off the tips (a few centimetres/inches) of the branches/shoots to
encourage side shoots to grow and make the plant bushier
Cut flowered shoots by half and the side shoots to 10cm (4in)
If over-wintering large plants is difficult, reduce the plant’s size
in late autumn
Plants can be left un-pruned to grow into large bushes where space
allows in conservatory beds or where plants are regularly re-potted
Plants restricted in containers will flower less and become less
vigorous over time and will need to be replaced


Also see
https://hellogardening.co.uk/nerium-...wing-and-care/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...der-shrubs.htm


Thanks Chris, my problem is I need to hard prune it and I cannot find
out how it will respond to that treatment. Think I'll go down the usual
trick of half this year and the rest next if it works OK.


From
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-keep-oleanders-pruned-short-75689.html

"According to Floridata, most backyard oleanders are trimmed to about 10
feet. If you prefer a small tree, remove suckers and all stems but the
strongest. Prune oleander each year, taking out the oldest stems at
ground level because unpruned plants can have thinner foliage and fewer
flowers. To keep it short, just prune down individual stem tips to the
desired size."

From
https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/trees-and-shrubs/shrubs/oleander.html

"Some gardeners severely prune plants in early to late fall to stimulate
new growth. Since oleanders bloom on new wood, this can stimulate
flowering, but fall pruning isn't necessary. Regularly removing dead,
damaged, or infested branches can improve plant health."

Looks to me as though it can be, and is, done.

--

Jeff
  #5   Report Post  
Old 22-02-2021, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Oct 2020
Posts: 18
Default Oleander

On 21 Feb 2021 18:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 21/02/2021 18:35, Bob Hobden wrote:
On 21 Feb 2021 17:46, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 14:58:55 +0000, Bob Hobden
wrote:

We have a 9ft tall flesh pink flowered Oleander in the corner of our
garden, been there years. It's now got too big and floppy for itself.
Can I prune it hard back into the old weed? I did take cuttings last
year which have taken so there are some tiny backups.

Looks like now's a good time to do it.

From https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/popula.../growing-guide

Pruning and training

Flowering occurs in late summer (July to October) on new shoots of the
current season's growth, so prune in late winter or early spring.
Gloves should be worn when pruning as the sap is potentially harmful.

Remove all thin, crowded shoots
Cut off the tips (a few centimetres/inches) of the branches/shoots to
encourage side shoots to grow and make the plant bushier
Cut flowered shoots by half and the side shoots to 10cm (4in)
If over-wintering large plants is difficult, reduce the plant's size
in late autumn
Plants can be left un-pruned to grow into large bushes where space
allows in conservatory beds or where plants are regularly re-potted
Plants restricted in containers will flower less and become less
vigorous over time and will need to be replaced


Also see
https://hellogardening.co.uk/nerium-...wing-and-care/
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...der-shrubs.htm


Thanks Chris, my problem is I need to hard prune it and I cannot find
out how it will respond to that treatment. Think I'll go down the usual
trick of half this year and the rest next if it works OK.


From
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-keep-oleanders-pruned-short-75689.html

"According to Floridata, most backyard oleanders are trimmed to about 10
feet. If you prefer a small tree, remove suckers and all stems but the
strongest. Prune oleander each year, taking out the oldest stems at
ground level because unpruned plants can have thinner foliage and fewer
flowers. To keep it short, just prune down individual stem tips to the
desired size."

From
https://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/trees-and-shrubs/shrubs/oleander.html

"Some gardeners severely prune plants in early to late fall to stimulate
new growth. Since oleanders bloom on new wood, this can stimulate
flowering, but fall pruning isn't necessary. Regularly removing dead,
damaged, or infested branches can improve plant health."

Looks to me as though it can be, and is, done.


Thanks Jeff.

--
Regards.
Bob Hobden


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oleander - How Poisonous? David Hare-Scott Gardening 14 06-05-2003 12:20 PM
Oleander Big Wave Lawns 0 28-04-2003 09:32 PM
Oleander yellow aphids bentcajungirl Lawns 1 28-04-2003 06:56 AM
Red Oleander Seeds Angela Coffey Gardening 2 26-04-2003 06:08 PM
Propagation of oleander ncstockguy North Carolina 1 06-03-2003 08:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2021 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017