Old 23-02-2021, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Deter Woodlice from an area?

Hi there
can anyone suggest something that would keep woodlice away from an area - not necessarily killing them?

Our wooden children's playhouse has a few clusters of the wee beasties inside. I don't mind them, know that they do good in the garden, etc, but would prefer they didn't hang around there. I can collect them up mechanically and put them in the composter but I presume others will take their place. Is there something they don't like the smell of, say (but humans don't mind) so that if applied they tend to wander off elsewhere?

Thanks
J^n
Old 27-02-2021, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/02/2021 20:22, Jon Nicoll wrote:
Hi there
can anyone suggest something that would keep woodlice away from an area - not necessarily killing them?

Our wooden children's playhouse has a few clusters of the wee beasties inside. I don't mind them, know that they do good in the garden, etc, but would prefer they didn't hang around there. I can collect them up mechanically and put them in the composter but I presume others will take their place. Is there something they don't like the smell of, say (but humans don't mind) so that if applied they tend to wander off elsewhere?

Thanks
J^n

Don't know the answer to your question , but I do know they eat decaying
matter so the only reason they are there is that the structure is rotting!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
Old 27-02-2021, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2021 10:02, Charlie Pridham wrote:
On 23/02/2021 20:22, Jon Nicoll wrote:
Hi there
can anyone suggest something that would keep woodlice away from an area - not necessarily killing them?

Our wooden children's playhouse has a few clusters of the wee beasties inside. I don't mind them, know that they do good in the garden, etc, but would prefer they didn't hang around there. I can collect them up mechanically and put them in the composter but I presume others will take their place. Is there something they don't like the smell of, say (but humans don't mind) so that if applied they tend to wander off elsewhere?

Thanks
J^n

Don't know the answer to your question , but I do know they eat decaying
matter so the only reason they are there is that the structure is rotting!

I hope not. About once a week we find one in the lounge, usually
crawling along the carpet. But one a few minutes ago really puzzled us -
it was a metre off the floor crawling up one of the lounge curtain ties!

We have no idea where they come from and how they get in (this is a 60s
built bungalow with suspended wooden floors over bare earth).

--

Jeff
Old 27-02-2021, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Don't know the answer to your question , but I do know they eat decaying
matter so the only reason they are there is that the structure is rotting!

I hope not. About once a week we find one in the lounge, usually
crawling along the carpet. But one a few minutes ago really puzzled us -
it was a metre off the floor crawling up one of the lounge curtain ties!

We have no idea where they come from and how they get in (this is a 60s
built bungalow with suspended wooden floors over bare earth).

Odd. Anyway, they are completely harmless, and can be ignored. One of
my children (when very young) always called them woodlemice, and probably
ate quite a few.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-02-2021, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2021 10:28, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Don't know the answer to your question , but I do know they eat decaying
matter so the only reason they are there is that the structure is rotting!

I hope not. About once a week we find one in the lounge, usually
crawling along the carpet. But one a few minutes ago really puzzled us -
it was a metre off the floor crawling up one of the lounge curtain ties!

We have no idea where they come from and how they get in (this is a 60s
built bungalow with suspended wooden floors over bare earth).

Odd. Anyway, they are completely harmless, and can be ignored. One of
my children (when very young) always called them woodlemice, and probably
ate quite a few.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I believe they are related to shrimps and when cooked taste a bit like them!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Old 27-02-2021, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

I believe they are related to shrimps and when cooked taste a bit like them!

They are, and I have heard that, too.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Woodlice in Pots les United Kingdom 32 09-05-2004 04:09 PM
Woodlice and now also earwigs More to Wiggle United Kingdom 11 02-07-2003 07:09 PM
Woodlice Adam Powell United Kingdom 2 01-07-2003 02:35 PM
Woodlice - good or bad? Sharon Hughes United Kingdom 8 08-06-2003 11:44 PM
Composters and Woodlice JP United Kingdom 1 16-03-2003 07:08 PM