GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Self-germinating butternut squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217396-self-germinating-butternut-squash.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 28-02-2021 04:11 PM

Self-germinating butternut squash

About once a month we buy a butternut squash. We keep it for 2 - 3 weeks
as we find that it is usually a a little sweeter that way.

I just opened our latest one to find that about half the seeds inside
had germinated, with sprouts up to 6 cm long! I tried one but
unfortunately it wasn't nice like a bean sprout, but somewhat bitter
(cucurbitacin?). In many years of buying squashes and melons I've never
seen this before. I suppose I could try potting up some of the seeds and
grow them on, but it's not something of interest for me.

Anyone come across this before?

--

Jeff

Gary Woods[_2_] 28-02-2021 05:04 PM

Self-germinating butternut squash

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 16:11:29 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Anyone come across this before?

I have seen seeds sprouted in a winter=stored spaghetti squash. I had
one that kept until the following spring!
--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC Public keys at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic, or get 0x1D64A93D via keyserver
fingerprint = E2 6F 50 93 7B C7 F3 CA 1F 8B 3C C0 B0 28 68

David Rance[_3_] 02-03-2021 10:35 AM

On Sun, 28 Feb 2021 16:11:29 Jeff Layman wrote:

About once a month we buy a butternut squash. We keep it for 2 - 3
weeks as we find that it is usually a a little sweeter that way.

I just opened our latest one to find that about half the seeds inside
had germinated, with sprouts up to 6 cm long! I tried one but
unfortunately it wasn't nice like a bean sprout, but somewhat bitter
(cucurbitacin?). In many years of buying squashes and melons I've never
seen this before. I suppose I could try potting up some of the seeds
and grow them on, but it's not something of interest for me.

Anyone come across this before?

No, but I bought a butternut squash in January last year, saved the
seeds and in March/April I put about twenty out on damp kitchen paper
where they all germinated very readily.

I had a good harvest and still have several squashes waiting to be
eaten!

If you want to eat the seeds I find it's necessary to bake them first.
They have a nice nutty flavour.

David