Old 22-04-2021, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery bites at the Allotment

Wife and i are getting lots of very itchY bites daytime from our
allotment. They don't seem like mosquito bites which seem to usually to
be only one or two at a time.
But these can be in clusters of three or four bites at a time in
different places.
They bite mainly on the legs, but sometimes higher up, and are very itchy.
The allotment has foxes and rats which i think have fleas. Are these
likely to be their fleas biting us, or something else?
Grateful for any advice on what to do please.
Old 22-04-2021, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2021 11:02, john west wrote:
Wife and i are getting lots of very itchY bites daytime from our
allotment.Â* They don't seem like mosquito bites which seem to usually to
be only one or two at a time.
But these can be in clusters of three or four bites at a time in
different places.
They bite mainly on the legs, but sometimes higher up, and are very itchy.
The allotment has foxes and rats which i think have fleas. Are these
likely to be their fleas biting us, or something else?
Grateful for any advice on what to do please.

fleas or ants is my best guess
foxes carry fox mange as well. dogs can get it off them

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell
Old 23-04-2021, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2021 11:02:21 +0100, john west
wrote:

Many thanks to all. Most helpful. To relieve itchy ness we have found
useful a traditional japanese remedy.
Which is Loquat leaves steeped in Vodka for several months and then just
applying the juice to the bite..

Old 23-04-2021, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Many thanks to all. Most helpful. To relieve itchy ness we have found
useful a traditional japanese remedy.
Which is Loquat leaves steeped in Vodka for several months and then just
applying the juice to the bite..

Although I tend to agree its most likely Fleas, don't discount spiders
in the last couple of months I have been got twice! Although my 4 year
old grandson pronounced them "Baby Dragon" bites I am pretty sure the
culprit was a small black spider

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Old 24-04-2021, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2021 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

As for what to do about them, an anti-histamine cream will help
suppress the irritation and localised swelling/redness. To discourage
whatever they are in the future, I have found that Deet spray is very
effective, available as a spray-on or cream.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Form.../dp/B07N8KCTD1
https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.co...sect-repellent

I've found that even something as simple as Germolene ointment helps
relives the itchiness.

Old 24-04-2021, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2021 20:09, alan_m wrote:
On 22/04/2021 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

As for what to do about them, an anti-histamine cream will help
suppress the irritation and localised swelling/redness. To discourage
whatever they are in the future, I have found that Deet spray is very
effective, available as a spray-on or cream.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Form.../dp/B07N8KCTD1

https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.co...sect-repellent

I've found that even something as simple as Germolene ointment helps
relives the itchiness.

Have you tried toothpaste?
Old 25-04-2021, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/04/2021 21:04, David Hill wrote:
On 24/04/2021 20:09, alan_m wrote:
On 22/04/2021 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

As for what to do about them, an anti-histamine cream will help
suppress the irritation and localised swelling/redness. To discourage
whatever they are in the future, I have found that Deet spray is very
effective, available as a spray-on or cream.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Form.../dp/B07N8KCTD1

https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.co...sect-repellent

I've found that even something as simple as Germolene ointment helps
relives the itchiness.

Have you tried toothpaste?

FWIW, if you have a serious reaction to some of the bigger things, like
horseflies, an antihistamine tablet will (so it seems to me from
experience) reduce the reaction, limit the skin damage and the big lump.
There was always a blister pack of tablets at the bottom of my rucksack.
Old 25-04-2021, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/04/2021 09:38, Bill Davy wrote:
On 24/04/2021 21:04, David Hill wrote:
On 24/04/2021 20:09, alan_m wrote:
On 22/04/2021 17:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

As for what to do about them, an anti-histamine cream will help
suppress the irritation and localised swelling/redness. To discourage
whatever they are in the future, I have found that Deet spray is very
effective, available as a spray-on or cream.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jungle-Form.../dp/B07N8KCTD1

https://www.hygienesuppliesdirect.co...sect-repellent

I've found that even something as simple as Germolene ointment helps
relives the itchiness.

Have you tried toothpaste?

FWIW, if you have a serious reaction to some of the bigger things, like
horseflies, an antihistamine tablet will (so it seems to me from
experience) reduce the reaction, limit the skin damage and the big lump.
Â*There was always a blister pack of tablets at the bottom of my rucksack.

And locally applied antihistamine ointment helps as well

https://www.boots.com/boots-pharmace...m-30g-10120823

--
It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
Mark Twain