GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Container conifer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217449-container-conifer.html)

Chris J Dixon 26-04-2021 10:48 AM

Container conifer

I have a reasonably established Juniperus communis 'Compressa'
growing in a large terracotta pot. At present I underplant with
annuals - it is currently looking good surrounded by pansies.

I am wondering if it might be made into more of an arrangement
with some more permanent partners, but can't decide what.

The pot sits by a north-facing wall.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 26-04-2021 11:25 AM

Container conifer

On 26/04/2021 10:48, Chris J Dixon wrote:
I have a reasonably established Juniperus communis 'Compressa'
growing in a large terracotta pot. At present I underplant with
annuals - it is currently looking good surrounded by pansies.

I am wondering if it might be made into more of an arrangement
with some more permanent partners, but can't decide what.

The pot sits by a north-facing wall.

Has it been there long? It's just that, in general, conifers aren't
supposed to be too happy with prolonged shade (but then they can't read
the books which tell them where they're supposed to grow!).

You might like to look at other dwarf conifers of more rounded shape and
different colour, although the lighter ones might well not perform well
in shade. Other low-growing evergreens like Pachysandra terminalis
variegata do well in shade. Other possibilities are dwarf hellebores,
and perhaps bergenias, although the latter might like a little more sun.

--

Jeff