GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217452-thinking-abut-cordless-hedgetrimmer.html)

newshound 30-04-2021 12:09 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:
I'm cross--posting to DIY and to Gardening.

I have had two Bosch AHS 55-26 (corded) hedgetrimmers in the last 10
years. I cut a lot of hedging, in three different gardens, and this is a
great cutter: 55cm blade, 600W power, and weighs 3.6kg; my second one
cost me about Ł130 several years ago. Used sensibly, nothing stops it
blazing through the many different hedges I look after.

I'm starting to get older ... hang on: I've always been getting older:
what has happened is that I'm starting to _feel_ older, and I'm
wondering if a cordless (therefore lighter) trimmer will be kinder to my
now-rapidly declining body.

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers? I
can't really believe that even the best cordless trimmer could match the
power of the one I have.

Opinions would be most welcome - TIA

John

If you go for a model with a decent sized battery, it might well be
heavier than a corded one. The local council contractors seem to use
strimmers and (I think) hedge trimmers with batteries in a backpack.

The most annoying thing with corded is that you have to take care not to
cut the lead. But then you need to take care anyway that you don't cut
yourself, or any fencing wire that is around. I've only cut one once in
about 25 years (no drama or danger with an ELCB).

Batteries are not cheap, and don't last forever (I have just skipped a
perfectly functional B&D hedge trimmer and chainsaw because their
obsolete batteries were dead).

I've standardised on Lidl for ad hoc cordless tools (I have Makita
drills). I have a chainsaw, a chainsaw on a pole, an angle grinder, and
a tyre pump and inflator that use their current 20 volt batteries. I'm
still using a corded hedge trimmer at home. I have a petrol one for
remote work but that is pretty heavy and tiring. I'd certainly consider
a Lidl trimmer if one came up. But I would not consider buying one if I
did not already have a collection of batteries and a charger.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-04-2021 12:12 PM

On 30/04/2021 10:54, Tim Streater wrote:
On 30 Apr 2021 at 08:17:46 BST, Jeff Layman wrote:

[...]

A battery trimmer will be heavier than a corded one. Lots of info he
https://advice.manomano.co.uk/hedge-trimmer-buying-guide-n3029

This one is corded and weighs only 1.9kg:
https://www.ikra.de/en/ultralight-hedge-trimmer/electric-hedge-trimmer-ultralight-fhs-1545/

One thing you haven't mentioned is the length of the blade. Perhaps look
for the shortest one you can find. Not only will it be lighter because
there's less metal in the blade, it should require a less powerful, and
so lighter, motor to do the cutting.

How does that cope with a hedge that's flat-topped and a metre thick?

It takes a bit longer, that's all. I doubt there are any trimmers which
would cut a 100 cm wide hedge in one pass. Also, most hedges are more
than 150 cm high, so you've got to do multiple passes for a side cut
anyway.

--

Jeff

Jeff Layman[_2_] 30-04-2021 12:13 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 30/04/2021 08:44, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

But you might not be able to reach across the top of the hedge if it's too
short. And, with a long blade you geta much neater cut - that's why the
pros use them.

You could give a trimmer with a 200 cm blade and I'd still get a wonky line!

--

Jeff

newshound 30-04-2021 12:15 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 30/04/2021 10:24, Theo wrote:
In uk.d-i-y Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
Here, that would involve around 4 or 5 recharges, so a 10 hour day
cutting, instead of the couple of hours work at present, we don't
really have that much hedge.

Lidl were doing cordless branch cutters, which had a small and light 3-cell
(10.8v) lithium ion battery. The battery life was about 10 minutes of
runtime (bearing in mind each branch takes a few seconds, and most of the
time is moving into position for the cut).

Problem was, one job I wanted to do was off-grid, but a petrol cutter wasn't
an option.

So I bought four of them (£25 each). That means I got four batteries and
four chargers. Enough for 40 mins of runtime. I had a car on-site that I
could use to power an inverter.

I could then charge batteries in relays - as one battery went flat I put it
on the charger and picked up a freshly charged one. Although I never
actually needed to do that in the end, and 1-2 batteries are enough for most
domestic jobs.

Theo

The Lidl 10.8's seem wimpy to me for garden type jobs. If I was
following your strategy I would only put the first one on the charger
after I had emptied two, if you see what I mean, to avoid recharging
warm batteries.

NY[_2_] 30-04-2021 02:33 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Lidl 10.8's seem wimpy to me for garden type jobs. If I was following
your strategy I would only put the first one on the charger after I had
emptied two, if you see what I mean, to avoid recharging warm batteries.

Most chargers/batteries seem to have sensors which won't let the battery
charge until it is cool enough. That means you can put each flat battery on
its charger as soon as you have finished with it, and forget about it. The
battery will initially give a "too warm" error, but it will start charging
as soon as it is happy, so you don't need to hang around and keep trying it
periodically to see if it is cool enough yet.

Andy Burns[_7_] 30-04-2021 02:34 PM

Another John wrote:

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers? I
can't really believe that even the best cordless trimmer could match the
power of the one I have.

I have an 18V cordless hedge-trimmer, but have only owned it 18 months
and not really given it extensive use. For me a corded one was not an
option as I have no mains power where it is is used. I only remember it
complaining at trying to cut one branch that was too thick for it, and
it did "bind up" a bit on the stringy/fibrous vines of some wild hops
that was growing within the hedge.

Theo[_4_] 30-04-2021 02:36 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

In uk.d-i-y NY wrote:
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
The Lidl 10.8's seem wimpy to me for garden type jobs. If I was following
your strategy I would only put the first one on the charger after I had
emptied two, if you see what I mean, to avoid recharging warm batteries.

Most chargers/batteries seem to have sensors which won't let the battery
charge until it is cool enough. That means you can put each flat battery on
its charger as soon as you have finished with it, and forget about it. The
battery will initially give a "too warm" error, but it will start charging
as soon as it is happy, so you don't need to hang around and keep trying it
periodically to see if it is cool enough yet.

Not the Lidl chargers - or at least they will charge while warm, the BMS
might cut them out of their get dangerously hot.

I manually leave batteries to cool before putting them on the charger.

Theo

Andy Burns[_7_] 30-04-2021 02:37 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

Chris Green wrote:

Are cordless *really* lighter?

Modern brushless motors can be considerably smaller and lighter, yes
there is the battery weight and it might be cheaper and lighter to buy
e.g two 3Ah batteries rather than a single 6Ah battery.

Andy Burns[_7_] 30-04-2021 02:41 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

Tim Streater wrote:

It's not pumping out 600W, that's how it's lighter.

My 36V brushcutter/strimmer puts out 1kW, but that is a 36V tool.

Tim+[_3_] 30-04-2021 03:15 PM

Another John wrote:
I'm cross--posting to DIY and to Gardening.

I have had two Bosch AHS 55-26 (corded) hedgetrimmers in the last 10
years. I cut a lot of hedging, in three different gardens, and this is a
great cutter: 55cm blade, 600W power, and weighs 3.6kg; my second one
cost me about 」130 several years ago. Used sensibly, nothing stops it
blazing through the many different hedges I look after.

I'm starting to get older ... hang on: I've always been getting older:
what has happened is that I'm starting to _feel_ older, and I'm
wondering if a cordless (therefore lighter) trimmer will be kinder to my
now-rapidly declining body.

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers? I
can't really believe that even the best cordless trimmer could match the
power of the one I have.

Opinions would be most welcome - TIA

John

If you’re feeling flush Stihl do cordless tools that can be used a socking
great battery backpack. This would make the tool lighter and possibly less
tiring to use but you’d have to factor in the 5.5kg battery on your back.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...k-battery.aspx

Having said that, the lightest hedge trimmer they do that uses that battery
weighs 3.9 kg.

https://www.stihl.co.uk/STIHL-Produc...e-trimmer.aspx

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

williamwright 30-04-2021 03:17 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers?

The only good cordless garden tools run on petrol.

Bill

williamwright 30-04-2021 03:19 PM

Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:
I'm starting to get older ... hang on: I've always been getting older:
what has happened is that I'm starting to_feel_ older, and I'm
wondering if a cordless (therefore lighter) trimmer will be kinder to my
now-rapidly declining body.

There's nothing more tiring than an underpowered garden tool. So
cordless are out.

Bill

newshound 30-04-2021 03:54 PM

On 30/04/2021 14:17, williamwright wrote:
On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers?

The only good cordless garden tools run on petrol.

Bill

Have you actually tried a modern battery chainsaw, then? My Lidl one has
more than enough power for its 10 inch bar, as long as the chain is not
too blunt.

charles 30-04-2021 04:06 PM

williamwright wrote:
On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers?

The only good cordless garden tools run on petrol.

Bill

I have both petrol & battery ones,. Modern battery ones seem quite good for
simple lawn edging.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England