Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

"charles" wrote in message
In article , NY wrote:
That doesn't equate with a vehicle's range with a tankful of petrol
compared to a battery full of leccy. And the battery weighs a lot more
than the petrol.

Bill

no, its fairly close - leccy cars have about 200 miles range and petrol
ones 400 - 600.

200 versus 400-600 is not "fairly close".

Not only do you have to recharge the battery more frequently, but every
time you have to wait many hours, as opposed to 5 mins max when filling
up with 60 litres of diesel. We have often done journeys of more than
200 miles, stopping only for brief loo breaks and maybe change of
driver. If we had to factor in a much longer recharging stop, a journey
of a few hours would turn into one with an overnight stop - or a long
stop at a place of interest along the way.

That, too, is my concern. If life returns to 'normal', I expect to do 2 or
3 long distance journeys each year.

Me too, and mostly at night too.

When cars have enough range to do a whole journey on one charging of the
battery, then they'll be a viable replacement. We'll probably never get
anywhere near the recharge rate of 60 litres of diesel (700 miles range)
in 5 minutes, but then that is several MW of power. But if charging
can be confined to overnight when you're not travelling (or 9-5 when
you're in the office) then it's no great hassle. But having to charge
during a journey is a definite disincentive to owning an electric car.

Longer advertised mileage ones appear to be coming, but they seem
to mostly "fashion statements" rather than useful vehicles.

Dunno about that last bit. Thats not really true of the longest range
Tesla,
but its got a stupid price.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 3 May 2021 04:59:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest trollshit unread

--
JimK addressing senile Rodent Speed:
"I really feel the quality of your trolling has dropped in the last few
Old 06-05-2021, 07:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/04/2021 22:10, Another John wrote:
I'm cross--posting to DIY and to Gardening.

I have had two Bosch AHS 55-26 (corded) hedgetrimmers in the last 10
years. I cut a lot of hedging, in three different gardens, and this is a
great cutter: 55cm blade, 600W power, and weighs 3.6kg; my second one
cost me about Ł130 several years ago. Used sensibly, nothing stops it
blazing through the many different hedges I look after.

I'm starting to get older ... hang on: I've always been getting older:
what has happened is that I'm starting to _feel_ older, and I'm
wondering if a cordless (therefore lighter) trimmer will be kinder to my
now-rapidly declining body.

Does anyone have reasonably extensive experience of cordless trimmers? I
can't really believe that even the best cordless trimmer could match the
power of the one I have.

Opinions would be most welcome - TIA

John

The decent cordless ones have quite heavy batteries - may not help you,
they are more convenient though with no extension lead.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2021 09:16, Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

And can your cordless keep that up for two or three hours to section a
full sized tree?

I only nip down and do a couple of hours worth at a time to get rid of
the tree, the section of trunk was [guestimating] a few hundred kilos,
so levering it about to avoid the saw touching the ground takes a lot of
time, the saw's not running for long periods, but I'd expect it to need
maybe a set of batteries per hour if it was.

Same here. I don't see tree surgeons and full time wood-cutters giving
up on petrol for a while. But for more casual DIY use, especially if you
are getting on a bit and don't have to finish in a day, even an 18 volt
lithium is an eye-opener. And since I have standardised on one make, I
have three or four 4AH and two 2AH batteries; I suspect they'd be enough
for a full day even without recharging.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

newshound wrote:

I don't see tree surgeons and full time wood-cutters giving up on petrol
for a while. But for more casual DIY use [...] 18 volt lithium is
an eye-opener.

I'd say that's a fair summary.