GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Gardeners' World for old fogies? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/217533-gardeners-world-old-fogies.html)

Jim S 15-05-2021 11:48 PM

Gardeners' World for old fogies?

Otherwise why do they still talk in feet and inches?
My 50 year-old kids never understood my instructions to plant their
first seeds two inches apart.

--
Jim S

David[_24_] 16-05-2021 01:15 PM

On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:48:16 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Otherwise why do they still talk in feet and inches?
My 50 year-old kids never understood my instructions to plant their
first seeds two inches apart.

I'll think about that over a pint. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

David Hill 16-05-2021 01:51 PM

On 16/05/2021 13:15, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:48:16 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Otherwise why do they still talk in feet and inches?
My 50 year-old kids never understood my instructions to plant their
first seeds two inches apart.

I'll think about that over a pint. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Sorry but I sill think in feet and inches, Fahrenheit and pints

David Rance[_3_] 16-05-2021 02:06 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2021 13:51:07 David Hill wrote:

On 16/05/2021 13:15, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:48:16 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Otherwise why do they still talk in feet and inches?
My 50 year-old kids never understood my instructions to plant their
first seeds two inches apart.

I'll think about that over a pint. :-)
Cheers
Dave R

Sorry but I sill think in feet and inches, Fahrenheit and pints

So do I!

My late French neighbour still used to count in *old* French francs.

David

Jim S 16-05-2021 02:28 PM

On Sun, 16 May 2021 14:06:33 +0100, David Rance wrote:

On Sun, 16 May 2021 13:51:07 David Hill wrote:

On 16/05/2021 13:15, David wrote:
On Sat, 15 May 2021 23:48:16 +0100, Jim S wrote:

Otherwise why do they still talk in feet and inches?
My 50 year-old kids never understood my instructions to plant their
first seeds two inches apart.
I'll think about that over a pint. :-)
Cheers
Dave R

Sorry but I sill think in feet and inches, Fahrenheit and pints

So do I!

My late French neighbour still used to count in *old* French francs.

David

I rest my case m'lud.
How dare young people come on to our gardens!
--
Jim S

Vir Campestris 19-05-2021 12:55 PM

Gardeners' World for old fogies?

On 16/05/2021 14:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
Old fogey here! I still think in feet and inches. What does annoy me a
bit is when a gardening author says something like 'spaced
approximately 12" apart (30.48 cm)'. FFS if it's only approximately
12" then say 30cm! An exact conversion isn't necessary. I blame the
editors - probably run the whole text through a piece of software that
converts all references to feet and inches into the metric equivalent,
regardless of context.

This is not unique to gardening authors.

Andy

David Hill 19-05-2021 05:07 PM

On 19/05/2021 12:55, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 16/05/2021 14:11, Chris Hogg wrote:
Old fogey here! I still think in feet and inches. What does annoy me a
bit is when a gardening author says something like 'spaced
approximately 12" apart (30.48 cm)'. FFS if it's only approximately
12" then say 30cm! An exact conversion isn't necessary. I blame the
editors - probably run the whole text through a piece of software that
converts all references to feet and inches into the metric equivalent,
regardless of context.

This is not unique to gardening authors.

Andy

I remember a few years ago I wa loking ata water pump and it had
impreial input and metric output