Old 12-05-2003, 02:28 PM
BAC

Default Demonising the hedgehog!

"Anthony E Anson" wrote in message
The message
from "BAC" contains these words:

I sympathise with the waders. Hedgehogs in the wrong place are pests,
and the Outer Hebrides is the wrong place.

Which is why the Hedgehog Welfare Charities are trying to remove them.

It is
SNH's insistence on killing the hedgehogs they capture, rather than

handing
them over for relocation, which is the root of the problem.

I'm quite in sympathy with that aim, though that in itself presents
welfare (and possibly fatal) problems for the urchins.

Organisations like St Tiggywinkles and the BHPT are not in the business of
deliberate or reckless torture of hedgehogs, and have many years practical
experience in the rehabilitation and release of hedgehogs. If they feel the
translocation project is feasible, and their membership and the public is
prepared to fund it, I see no good reason why SNH should deny them the
opportunity.

The Uist Wader Group's recommendation was that there should have been a
pilot 'official' translocation scheme this year, to test survival of
translocated specimens, but, for some unknown reason, SNH decided to avoid
testing their pessimistic theories, and to press on with killing all the
animals they captured.

Old 12-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Malcolm

On Mon, 12 May 2003 13:56:35 +0100, "BAC"
wrote:

[...]

SNH did this because the relocation would expose the lie they use to
slaughter millions of animals every year. There is no practical non
lethal measure of control. It's crap and they have now been caught
out.
--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?