Old 12-05-2003, 10:09 AM

Default Ways of edging vegetable growing areas

What do people suggest as the best ways of edging areas used to grow
vegetables?

We have a number of small vegetable plots we are 'developing' in our
garden which has no really natural borders (there's seven acres
altogether!). Currently they are just dug over areas in an area of
mown grass but it'll be much easier to keep them tidy and weed free if
they have edges.

I have put brick edging around one patch (where we're growing
strawberries very successfully) but would like to know of alternatives
that would be easier, cheaper and/or better.

--
Chris Green )
Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 AM
gastropod

4 inch softwood fence posts cost about 80p a foot, not sure about brick
costs, but this can be quite good. They can be lifted and treated annually
to ensure durability.
Neil

Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 PM

gastropod wrote:
4 inch softwood fence posts cost about 80p a foot, not sure about brick
costs, but this can be quite good. They can be lifted and treated annually
to ensure durability.
Neil

That's quite a good idea, I have some treated 4"x2" (or thereabouts)
fencing timber unused at the moment so I could try that for starters.

For the more rustic look (!) I also have some felled Leylandii trunks
which we kept because they were so straight. Having used some already
to mark out a manège I know they survive remarkably well on/in the
ground.

Thanks for your suggestion.

--
Chris Green )