Old 12-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Rufus

Default Horsetails and Roundup

I would like to eliminate the use of 'chemicals' from my garden, but
right now it is infested with equisetales (aka horsetails, mare's tails,
etc). There are some big patches, others are in small clusters among
the vegetables and flowers.

The only way I know to get rid of them is to spray in the growing season
with glyphosate. Even then you have to give them a thrashing first to
scrape their surface and let the weedkiller penetrate.

If anyone knows of an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Meantime, the best I'm hoping for is to keep the amount of glyphosate I
use down to a minimum. Even that is a problem, since the only form I
can buy locally is ready-made solutions in spray containers. I have a
vague memory that you used to get it in other forms, in applicators that
allowed you to dab it on to individual weeds.

Does anyone know of any devices like this? Or could I simply use a
paintbrush?

There is also the problem of our climate. You can't spray unless it's
calm, and for plants to absorb the stuff the plants need to be dry, and
need to stay dry for several hours after spraying. That means waiting
till the dew has burned off, and hoping the forecast is right.

Again, is there any way round this? Could I spray, then cover the area
for a few hours?

I will experiment, but I'd welcome any advice.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Thomas Greeves

"Rufus" wrote in message

[...]

There are various organic weed killer sprays available, but the are not very
affective. Tumbleweed original extra strong (glyphosate) is available in a
gel which comes with a paint brush. It needs a little time to dry, in warm
weather this will probably be about 10 minutes.

Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Rufus
writes

If anyone knows of an alternative, I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Someone on this group some time ago said that he had eradicated it
simply by constantly cutting it back as soon as it so much as showed a
bit of growth above ground. Took about 5 years if I remember correctly.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 12-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"Rufus" wrote in message

Does anyone know of any devices like this? Or could I simply use a

paintbrush?

with some thing like horsetail I'd use a rubber glove - spray glove
liberally with solution and wipe over the weed

pk

Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Jon

I've got a problem with this as well. Last year I drenched it repeatedly
with SBK, Weedol, glyphosate, sodium chlorate, and household bleach.
This year it's back but not quite as bad :-)

Old 12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
ned

Rufus wrote:
[...]

I have successfully controlled horsetails by spraying with Roundup to
which washing up liquid has been added. The WU liquid reduces the
surface tension on the foliage allowing the spray to adhere to the
plant - and also produces foam (when sprayed) which is a good
indicator of which bits you have missed. It does take some time for
the effects to be seen and if possible, try to leave the fronds until
they have withered and gone brown.
On a really well established patch you may have some regrowth the
following year but a repeat treatment seems to see it off. Now is
definitely the best time to attack it while the growth is fresh and
lush.

--
ned

Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Victor Meldrew

In article , Jon
rubbish-----@?.? writes
I've got a problem with this as well. Last year I drenched it repeatedly
with SBK, Weedol, glyphosate, sodium chlorate, and household bleach.
This year it's back but not quite as bad :-)

Yes SBK is the only thing I've had any success with. As someone else
said, use the rubber glove method. I didn't eradicate it completely but
it's now just a case of constantly pulling out any that dare put their
heads above ground. It is renowned for surviving deep down whatever
treatment you throw at it. After SBK'ing it on a rockery slope, I
planted some Persicaria 'Dharjeeling Red' which has spread like wildfire
and seems to have outcompeted the mare's tail. What a great value plant
it is too - profuse gorgeous red bottle-brush flowers from May to
October.
--
Paul Flackett

Remove _bra to reply by e-mail.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Paul Kelly" contains these words:

"Rufus" wrote in message

Does anyone know of any devices like this? Or could I simply use a

paintbrush?

with some thing like horsetail I'd use a rubber glove - spray glove
liberally with solution and wipe over the weed

Paul's post reminded me of a Beth Chatto tip. Her weeders wear a
cotton glove over a rubber glove, and dip in weedkiller before drawing
the weed through their hand.

An old fashioned dish mop (cotton tassel on a stick) might be easier
than a paintbrush.

Janet.

Old 13-05-2003, 08:44 AM
Paul Kelly

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Paul Kelly" contains these words:

Paul's post reminded me of a Beth Chatto tip. Her weeders wear a
cotton glove over a rubber glove, and dip in weedkiller before drawing
the weed through their hand.

what a *good* idea! Consider it copied!

pk

Old 14-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from jon frohmaier contains these words:

would like to try the washing up trick, how much do you use in a
sprayer?

Only a touch or you'll disappear in billows of toxic foam.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 14-05-2003, 11:32 AM
geoff

The only things which will grow in the garden in the dark are fungi. It
follows that one should use the hoe regularly or pull it up as I do in my
fairly new asparagus bed.

Geoff

Old 14-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"geoff" writes:
| The only things which will grow in the garden in the dark are fungi. It
| follows that one should use the hoe regularly or pull it up as I do in my
| fairly new asparagus bed.

Arising from this, has anyone ever grown broomrapes deliberately,
as decorative plants?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-05-2003, 08:32 PM
ned

jon frohmaier wrote:
would like to try the washing up trick, how much do you use in a
sprayer?

:-))
Depends how big the sprayer is.
Or whether you are in a hard or soft water area.
Seriously, there is no hard and fast rule. Its trial and error.
Use enough to produce a foamy spray. But the marker (toxic?????) foam
is the byproduct.
You just need enough to allow the water to thoroughly wet the plant.
The same trick works on all waxy leaved plants. Ivy for example.

--
ned

Old 17-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Rufus

Sincere thanks to all who replied for some very helpful suggestions.