Old 11-05-2003, 07:32 PM
B K

Default The BBC looking for views on the uneccesary slaughter of wildlife. Let them know what you think via

Many of us walkers interested in natural history, who own farms that
desperately need Broadband in the Birmingham area watch Countryfile,
they want to know what we think of the recent slaughter of wildlife,
why not tell them?

Edited.

Lundy Island

Launching a new look hour-long Countryfile, John Craven presents this
week’s programme from Lundy Island.

Mention Lundy and most people immediately think of Puffins and the
shipping forecast but there’s more to this tiny isle than you might
think.

Located in the Bristol channel ten miles off the North Devon coast
Lundy has historically been home to Vikings, pirates and castaways. It
was gambled away in a poker game in the mid 1800s and a short time
later purchased by the Rev. Heaven who built his own church and
declared it the Kingdom of Heaven!

Nowadays the island is owned by The National Trust and managed by the
Landmark Trust. Tourism is an important source of income and we find
out how the demands of visitors are balanced against the needs of
delicate and unique wildlife.

We discover how farming is still an important part of island life and
finally we hear about a campaign to remove less welcome visitors -
black and brown rats - in an effort to boost the famous but declining
Puffin population.

Video Diary

The Hebridean islands of South and North Uist and Benbecula are home
to some of the most important populations of wading birds including
the Dunlin, Lapwing and Skylark. However, over the last 10 years,
numbers have halved. The hedgehog, which is not native to the islands,
has been blamed for their demise by eating huge numbers of bird eggs.

Previous attempts by Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) to restrict the
movements of the hedgehogs from the more important breeding grounds
have failed. Now, SNH has taken urgent action to protect the
internationally important native birds by organising a cull to
eliminate 5,000 of its predators.

A coalition of animal-welfare groups, including Animal Aid
http://www.animalaid.org.uk

St Tiggywinkles,
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/

British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS),
http://www.software-technics.co.uk/bhps/

International Animal Rescue
http://www.iar.org.uk/

Advocates for Animals,
http://www.advocatesforanimals.org.uk/

have established themselves on the islands with the mission to capture
as many of the animals as possible to save them from the cull.

St Tiggywinkles, the wildlife hospital that teaches vets about
wildlife care, is running a field hospital on the island with two
nurses and a vet. With their wealth of experience, the team of
volunteers hope to relocate the rescued hedgehogs into suitable
habitats on the mainland.

Nick Duthie, a marine biologist, joins the Uist Hedgehog Rescue
project to help capture hedgehogs. He charts his progress with a video
diary about his personal experience as a volunteer.

If you think you could make a video diary for Countryfile, write to us
with an explanation of why you think your video diary would make a
great piece of TV. You don't need any relevant experience. If you
don't have your own camera equipment, we'll lend you ours and show you
how to use it. We'll also edit your diary for you.

So if you fancy being a star of the small screen, please write to:
Countryfile, BBC Birmingham, B5 7QQ. Or send an email to
. Don't forget to include your daytime contact
number.

See the edited Herald newspaper report

Rescued hedgehogs seem to be thriving
JAMES FREEMAN
THE Uist Hedgehog Rescue group claimed yesterday that most of the
first batch of animals to be relocated on the Scottish mainland from
Uist and Benbecula four weeks ago had survived and appeared to be
thriving.

Rescuers have captured 110 hedgehogs on South Uist and Benbecula, 78
of which have been moved to the mainland by ferry. All have gone
initially to Hessilhead Animal Rescue Centre near Beith, Ayrshire, and
32 from the original batch were distributed to gardens of sympathisers
in and around Glasgow and down to Kirkcudbright.

On North Uist, trappers from Scottish Natural Heritage have captured
41 hedgehogs which were first anaesthetised and then killed by lethal
injection in an effort to halt the devastation to wading bird
populations.

SNH had said that by six weeks into relocation more than half the
hedgehogs would have died, but rescuers said the animals were doing
fine.

-May 9th

New look Countryfile

In the new hour-long programme viewers are invited to give their
opinions on topics introduced in the previous week’s programme to
encourage a discussion on-air.

Next week we’ll be asking: if hunting is banned, should fishing should
be banned as well?

Make sure you let the BBC know your views on the slaughter of
wildlife.

If you have views on this topic, email
or write
to Countryfile, BBC Birmingham, B5 7QQ. Please keep your comments
concise and don’t forget to include details of your name and where you
live. We’re sorry but we won’t be able to provide individual replies.

On the Lundy slaughter, visit.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lun...e+Search&meta=

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?hl...N&tab=wg&meta=

On the Uist slaughter, visit

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...TF-8&scoring=d

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ll&sa=N&tab=gw

You may also wish to complain to the following groups about the
uneccesary slaughter of wildlife, when they can safely be controlled
with non lethal measures, if indeed the controls are really neccesary.

Landmark Trust
http://www.landmarktrust.co.uk
Tel: 01628 825925

North Atlantic Salmon Fund UK
Tel: 01577 850376
Email: andrew.whitehead.tiscali.co.uk

Environment Agency
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk
Tel: 01454 624400

Uist Hedgehog Rescue Project
Tel: 07713 403099

St.Tiggywinkles
http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk
Tel: 01844 292292

British Hedgehog Preservation Society
http://www.software-technics.co.uk/bhps/
Tel: 01584 890801

Scottish Natural Heritage
http://www.snh.org.uk
Tel: 0131 4474784

Isle of Eigg
http://www.isleofeigg.org

Isle of Muck
http://www.road-to-the-isles.org.uk/muck

Eda Frandsen
Marion Robinson, Doune, Knoydart, Mallaig PH41 4PL
http://www.eda-frandsen.co.uk
Tel: 01687 462917
Email:

Scottish Tourist Board
http://www.visitscotland.com
Tel: 0131 3322433

Old 12-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Stuart

B K wrote in message
Many of us walkers interested in natural history, who own farms that
desperately need Broadband in the Birmingham area watch Countryfile,
they want to know what we think of the recent slaughter of wildlife,
why not tell them?

I don't think that farmers who want broadband in the Birmingham will be
remotely interested in the slaughter of wildlife...........not unless there
is a subsidy involved!

Old 12-05-2003, 07:33 AM
Charlie

"Malcolm" wrote in message
So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

(SNIP PICTURE)

How mature.

Charlie.

---

Old 12-05-2003, 07:59 AM
B K

On Mon, 12 May 2003 07:33:37 +0100, "Charlie"
wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news:fe8d19c929bae525a61e350c19c25fad@TeraNews. ..
So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

(SNIP PICTURE)

How mature.

Charlie.

Almost as much as your off topic, gripping post, at least he had a
picture to entertain us!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Parish

wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news:fe8d19c929bae525a61e350c19c25fad@TeraNews.. .
So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

(SNIP PICTURE)

How mature.

Charlie.

Almost as much as your off topic, gripping post, at least he had a

Ahem! Pot, kettle, black. WTF does dead hedgehogs have to do with
broadband internet access? You are posting to uk.telecom.broadband you know?

picture to entertain us!

You are obviously easily amused if you found that entertaining.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:33 AM
B K

Default The BBC looking for views on the uneccesary slaughter of wildlife. Let them know what you thin

wrote:

"Malcolm" wrote in message
news:fe8d19c929bae525a61e350c19c25fad@TeraNews. ..
So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

(SNIP PICTURE)

How mature.

Charlie.

Almost as much as your off topic, gripping post, at least he had a

Ahem! Pot, kettle, black. WTF does dead hedgehogs have to do with
broadband internet access? You are posting to uk.telecom.broadband you know?

Did you not see the part where he said he wanted Broadband?

picture to entertain us!

You are obviously easily amused if you found that entertaining.

Not that easy, I dont find yours amusing!

In case you forgot what the post said, here it is.

Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM
Parish

B K wrote:

In case you forgot what the post said, here it is.

I know what it said and reposting it still doesn't make it anymore
on-topic for uk.telecom.broadband.

Many of us walkers interested in natural history, who own farms that
desperately need Broadband in the Birmingham area watch Countryfile,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The one and only mention of broadband. The connection with this NG is as
tenuous as us posting messages from this NG to u.r.natural-history etc.
because they contain the word 'frog' (one of the ADSL modems supplied by
BT is nick-named 'the frog').

Oh, and your second thread, "Nazi style CONservation...", doesn't even
contain the word 'broadband'.

So please, remove u.t.broadband from the list of NGs.

Thank you.

[OT diatribe snipped]

Old 12-05-2003, 09:11 AM
B K

Default The BBC looking for views on the uneccesary slaughter of wildlife. Let them know what you th

On Mon, 12 May 2003 08:56:09 +0000, Parish
wrote:

B K wrote:

In case you forgot what the post said, here it is.

I know what it said and reposting it still doesn't make it anymore
on-topic for uk.telecom.broadband.

More so then your whinging?

Many of us walkers interested in natural history, who own farms that
desperately need Broadband in the Birmingham area watch Countryfile,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The one and only mention of broadband. The connection with this NG is as
tenuous as us posting messages from this NG to u.r.natural-history etc.
because they contain the word 'frog' (one of the ADSL modems supplied by
BT is nick-named 'the frog').

So now you want to play moderator?

Oh, and your second thread, "Nazi style CONservation...", doesn't even
contain the word 'broadband'.

So please, remove u.t.broadband from the list of NGs.

**** of, unless you have been officially appointed moderator and
spokesperson for us all.

Thank you.

[OT diatribe snipped]

Dingbat. Before you die, show us how your post was on topic for any of
the groups concerned?

Old 12-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Parish

B K wrote:

[snip]

More so then your whinging?

[snip]

So now you want to play moderator?

[snip]

**** of, unless you have been officially appointed moderator and
spokesperson for us all.

[snip]

Dingbat. Before you die, show us how your post was on topic for any of
the groups concerned?

Ah, a rational, well-reasoned argument.

I win.

Goodbye.