Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Default The dangers of weed killers - Glyphostae aka Roundup, the hidden killer.

Tim Tyler writes
In uk.rec.gardening Michael Saunby wrote:

: So how many consumers are harmed by pesticides in the UK each year?

Probably all of them. Even organic produce contains pesticides.
Unless you stop eating and breathing you can't completely avoid them.

A recent study found fruit intake correlated with Parkinsons disease:

http://health.iwon.com/article/id/512534.html

Fruit cake - how very apt. I expect that jumped right out at you.

The researcher's expected mechanism: pesticide exposure.

Guessing.

: You're stressing (which really does kill) over something that doesn't.

Uh - plenty of people have been killed by pesticides.

No consumers.
However many people are made ill, and a few die, from natural toxins as
I said before.

My interest may be based on personal reasons - pesticides can
harm me -

So can a car.

whereas I'm happy with the risks posed by my intelligence.

Little risk is posed by your intelligence, don't fear.

Pesticides are a serious issue.

They are indeed.
Particularly to the person using them.
Remember we aren't talking about microgrammes going into the sprayer but
kilogrammes. We don't want to be using toxic products because totally
overwhelmingly the most likely person to get a dose is us.

Attempting to gloss over the problem
is more likely to have a deleterious effect on your lifespan than
a positive one - IMO.

Gloss over?
With the information I have passed over?
You call that glossed over?

Idiot.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

The FDA gave a figure of 99% for washing for a fungicide off tomatoes:

Fine, wash your tomatoes then.

Big deal.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

You might think - yet unsafe levels of pesticides are still turning
up in produce on supermarket shelves - e.g. in Asda this year:

``Spanish spinach from Asda tested by the pesticide residues
committee exceeded legal and safety limits. Residues of the
pesticide methomyl were found at 240% of the safety level
for toddlers and 150% of that for adults.

Sure, it happens.

That's why there are check tests.
That why the allowed levels are set so low.

However I doubt very much that they exceeded 'safety limits', I don't
doubt that some exceeded the permitted level. Since very little (a
fraction of a percent) does, and since I have explained that the
permitted level is hugely safe and requires huge intakes (which you will
be unable to find enough contaminated produce to consume) you shouldn't
be getting concerned.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

Consequently - I'd go for the peppers seeming more palatable than the
beans - for someone with minimal knowledge of the nutrition involved.

Eh?

Joke, yes?

You have eaten neat jalapenos?

Nahh, out of keeping with the poster.
Just plain stupid fits better.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Tim Tyler writes

Carbendazim disrupts the production of sperm and damages
testicular development in adult rats. In addition,
carbendazim is a teratogen damaging development of mammals
in the womb. Rats developing in the womb and exposed to
Carbendazim, have been found to lead to deformities such as
lack of eyes and hydrocephalus (“water on the brain”).''

Nearly as bad as mustard oil.

The dose --- remember?

Not hard for most people.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Oz

Jim Webster writes

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...

: Interesting stuff, something I have often been concerned about, I
: doubted the validity of a quick rinse and usually soak my hard fruits
: for a few hours prior to washing, of course this is not possible with
: soft fruit. I wondered about the effect of waxing on fruit, would this
: not seal the crap in as well, I find some waxes need a quick soak in
: the sink with a little detergent before coming off!

Waxed on pesticides may indeed be a problem:

don't worry, just keep pouring on the detergent

then go back to the start of the thread where roundup was being discussed
and contemplate the tank mixes that might have been hazardous

Quite.

This Tim is a real cookie!

A marvellous example of the failure of education to show show some
people how to think.

Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Tim Tyler

:
:Uh - plenty of people have been killed by pesticides.

: No consumers.

Of course consumers. Pesticides have caused cancers in consumers and
those cancers have killed people.

:Attempting to gloss over the problem is more likely to have a
:deleterious effect on your lifespan than a positive one - IMO.

: Gloss over?
: With the information I have passed over?
: You call that glossed over?

: Idiot.

Note that my comments were in reply to someone who'd just written:
"I'd like to care, but unfortunately it's just not in my nature".

I don't know why you might have thought they were directed at you.
--
__________
Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Robert Seago

Halogenated hydrocarbons covers a lot more than just DDT.

All the persistent ones are banned for crops in any reasonable country.
Some may still be used for termite control, but few people eat wood.

But the problem with POP's was that the invertebrates getting some dosage
from the wood etc. were eaten by animals higher up the food chain.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago
Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Robert Seago

In article ,
Tim Tyler wrote:
snip

: TBH there will have been no pressure to make us more able to cope
: withthese toxins, unless they had been potent enough to kill off
: individuals before they breed.

Not entirely accurate - since there's non-fatal damage which reduces
fertility before breeding - and parental care - to consider.

Indeed POP's came into that category.

--
Regards from Robert Seago : http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rjseago
Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes

:Consequently - I'd go for the peppers seeming more palatable than the
:beans - for someone with minimal knowledge of the nutrition involved.

: Eh?

: Joke, yes?

: You have eaten neat jalapenos?

I was comparing with "raw peppers" - as requested:

``so do a taste bud test and tell us which are safest, raw red kidney
beans or raw peppers''

No species was specified. Why are you asking me about jalapenos?

People regularly eat raw peppers. I don't know of anyone who
regularly eats raw red kidney beans.
--
__________

Old 23-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: This Tim is a real cookie!

: A marvellous example of the failure of education to show show some
: people how to think.

I have at least one virtue - I try to criticise the arguments of
those I disagree with - rather launching personal attacks on the
individuals making them.
--
__________
Old 23-05-2003, 11:09 PM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:
: Tim Tyler writes:

: Carbendazim disrupts the production of sperm and damages
: testicular development in adult rats. In addition,
: carbendazim is a teratogen damaging development of mammals
: in the womb. Rats developing in the womb and exposed to
: Carbendazim, have been found to lead to deformities such as
: lack of eyes and hydrocephalus (“water on the brain”).''

: Nearly as bad as mustard oil.

Mustard plants have somewhat redeeming health features - i.e.
like other brassica vegetables they offer powerful protection
against cancer.

By contrast - for many pesticides - the compensation accrues to the
those in the supply chain - who can generate more produce - and the
health cost is borne by consumers.
--
__________
Old 23-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Tim Tyler

In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:
:In uk.rec.gardening Mike Humberston wrote:

:: If strawberries are supposed to be covered in fungicide then why
:: is it that if I keep strawberries in my fridge for more than a few days
:: they rapidly become covered in white fuzz?
:
:Fungicides are not effective indefinitely.

: Because they don't remain on the fruit?

Because naturally there are limits to the volume of fungus any
fungicide can prevent.

:Eventually the forces of decay win out.

: Because the fungicides are no longer present in sufficient quantities
: for them to be effective?

Because chemical transformations change them from fungicides into
spent waste matter in the process of fungal attack.

:Fungicides merely delay the process - but if the food is sold in
:the interim they have served their purpose.

: And the fruit is safe for the consumer to eat?

That will depent on the fruit in question - and on your desired level
of safely.
--
__________
Old 23-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Jim Webster

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
In uk.rec.gardening Oz wrote:

: This Tim is a real cookie!

: A marvellous example of the failure of education to show show some
: people how to think.

I have at least one virtue - I try to criticise the arguments of
those I disagree with - rather launching personal attacks on the
individuals making them.
--

but totally ignored the point

Old 23-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Hmisch Macbeth

"Oz" wrote in message
Remember france, for many years, exported three times the amount of
organic wheat than it produced. The fraud was caught, but it took years
and was exceptionally obvious.

What is the problem with that?
The consumer was happy that they were eating organic wheat and the
producer was getting a premium.

If you pay extra for something which is imposible to verify you deserve to
be fleeced.