GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Seedlings crinkling (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/23063-seedlings-crinkling.html)

Nick Maclaren 18-05-2003 12:44 PM

Seedlings crinkling

A lot of my seedlings have developed very crinkly leaves and/or
disorted shoots, and not thrived. Most of them seem to be regrowing
healthy ones, but I am a bit puzzled why. The species are Ipomoea,
Capsicum and Passiflora (various).

Greenfly got a bit out of hand, so it could have been them, or the
Savona I used on the plants, but neither has had quite that effect
before. Or the erratically cold weather, because all of those like
definite warmth to get going. A virus carried by greenfly seems
unlikely, because of the recovery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

don 18-05-2003 04:44 PM

Seedlings crinkling

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

A lot of my seedlings have developed very crinkly leaves and/or
disorted shoots, and not thrived. Most of them seem to be regrowing
healthy ones, but I am a bit puzzled why. The species are Ipomoea,
Capsicum and Passiflora (various).

Greenfly got a bit out of hand, so it could have been them, or the
Savona I used on the plants, but neither has had quite that effect
before. Or the erratically cold weather, because all of those like
definite warmth to get going. A virus carried by greenfly seems
unlikely, because of the recovery.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

It sounds like sun scorching -which does exactly what you have observed.

You only need a few minutes of intense sunlight on seedling leaves to give
a partial or full scorch.

Ipomoea are particularly sensitive to sunlight for the first few days after
they have germinated particularly if you have raised them in a humid
propagator

Helen 19-05-2003 07:08 PM

Seedlings crinkling

When I read 'crinkly seedlings' I immediately thought of greenfly,
then your further text confirmed it. The greenfly suck the sap of
tender young plants which causes a puckering of the plant tissues.
Hope you solve your problem.