GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Astilbe and Penstemon (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/23113-astilbe-penstemon.html)

Aileen Howard 18-05-2003 06:08 PM

Astilbe and Penstemon

I've bought a Penstemon (apologies if spelling is wrong, my books are
downstairs) and four Astilbes today. Can I plant these in pots, or won't
they be happy. Grateful for any opinions please.

Regards, Aileen in sunny Notts (at the moment!)

Robert Brown 18-05-2003 07:56 PM

Astilbe and Penstemon

Also in sunny South Notts, they should be fine in pots the astilbes will
appreciate a saucer of water keeping under them during the summer months to
keep the compost damp , to get the bestout of them
Yours Robert

bnd777 18-05-2003 10:44 PM

Astilbe and Penstemon

Penstemons love full sun and do better in the ground than in pots
Astillbes love moist soil so being in a pot is not the best idea

Barry & Iris McCanna 19-05-2003 10:08 AM

Astilbe and Penstemon

"bnd777" wrote in message
Penstemons love full sun and do better in the ground than in pots
Astillbes love moist soil so being in a pot is not the best idea

Penstemons do also do well in pots. Although I do have a large
collection in the flowerbeds last year I tried some in pots and they
did very well indeed.

Iris McCanna