GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Improving Soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/27543-improving-soil.html)

Bruce Ella 19-05-2003 05:08 PM

Improving Soil

I am trying to convert an area previously covered by shingle into grass with
a flower bed on either side. after digging up the shingle I discovered hard
clay, with large large pebbles underneath. I have turned much of this, and
removed much of the stones. I have been trying to improve the quality of
the soil, so that the flower bed would be useable by adding multi purpose
compost. I have read that adding gypsum helps to soften/ break up the
clay. When I went to Wickes to get this they look at me blankly.... can I
just but 'finishing plaster' or does this have cement in it already?

any thoughts on the improvements I should make to help my tomatoes grow well
once I move them outside.

Thanks
Bruce

Sally Thompson 19-05-2003 08:20 PM

Improving Soil

On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:36:44 +0100, "Bruce Ella"
wrote:

I am trying to convert an area previously covered by shingle into grass with
a flower bed on either side. after digging up the shingle I discovered hard
clay, with large large pebbles underneath. I have turned much of this, and
removed much of the stones. I have been trying to improve the quality of
the soil, so that the flower bed would be useable by adding multi purpose
compost. I have read that adding gypsum helps to soften/ break up the
clay. When I went to Wickes to get this they look at me blankly.... can I
just but 'finishing plaster' or does this have cement in it already?

Bruce

You can get gypsum from the Organic Gardening Catalogue at
http://www.organiccatalog.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Price is 6.60 for 5kg, 19.65 for 25kg. According to their web site
you should apply 250-500g per sq.m

HTH

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Thomas Greeves 19-05-2003 10:08 PM

Improving Soil

"Bruce Ella" wrote in message
I am trying to convert an area previously covered by shingle into grass

with
a flower bed on either side. after digging up the shingle I discovered

hard
clay, with large large pebbles underneath. I have turned much of this,

and
removed much of the stones. I have been trying to improve the quality of
the soil, so that the flower bed would be useable by adding multi purpose
compost. I have read that adding gypsum helps to soften/ break up the
clay. When I went to Wickes to get this they look at me blankly.... can I
just but 'finishing plaster' or does this have cement in it already?

Multi purpose compost can be used as a soil improver but it would be better
to use:

Ideas to improve the soil: horticultural grit, vitax clay breaker or
organic matter (eg composted horse manure)