GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomatoe seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/27544-tomatoe-seeds.html)

Bruce Ella 19-05-2003 05:08 PM

Tomatoe seeds

Is there any reason why we shouldn't just use the seeds from the cherry
tomatoes that we buy in the shop rather than buying the seeds... surely
these are already known to have good quality, tasty tomatoes.

kind regards
Bruce

Tim 19-05-2003 05:08 PM

Tomatoe seeds

On Mon, 19 May 2003 16:38:20 +0100, Bruce Ella wrote:

Is there any reason why we shouldn't just use the seeds from the cherry
tomatoes that we buy in the shop rather than buying the seeds... surely
these are already known to have good quality, tasty tomatoes.

kind regards
Bruce

As long as the seeds weren't from F1 hybrids (which means they probably
won't breed true) then why not?
Tim.

Little Badger 19-05-2003 05:08 PM

Tomatoe seeds

Does anyone know what variety of cherry tomato that is sold in the big
shops?

Badger

Marcus Fox 21-05-2003 04:08 AM

Tomatoe seeds

"Bruce Ella" wrote in message
Is there any reason why we shouldn't just use the seeds from the cherry
tomatoes that we buy in the shop rather than buying the seeds... surely
these are already known to have good quality, tasty tomatoes.

Tomatoes you find in supermarkets are bred for colour and shelf life. They
look good and last long. Great taste is not an as important consideration.

Marcus

subbykins{Chrd} 25-05-2003 02:20 PM

Tomatoe seeds

On Mon, 19 May 2003 17:06:57 +0100, "Little Badger"
wrote:

Does anyone know what variety of cherry tomato that is sold in the big
shops?

Badger

Badger, have a look at Marks & Spencers, they're now selling lots of
different kinds of tomatoes and the labels name the varieties
(someone's obviously been listening), in fact I've noticed that
strawberry varieties are also being named on the label as well as the
country of origin at Tesco's. Breeding the taste back in perhaps?

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}