GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/27921-water-hawthorn-water-hyssop-urgent-advice-pls.html)

Lynda Thornton 21-05-2003 12:20 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Hi

I just received one each of these plants by mail order this morning and
wanted to make sure how best to plant them in my water barrel pond. I
understand that the water hawthorn is a deep water marginal, so should I
plant it in a basket and put it straight in at the bottom of the barrel?
The water is probably between 12" and 18" deep, so will it be OK to go
straight in at that depth? Does it need stones in the bottom to stop it
floating about and how will the soil stay in the basket? I'm a newbie
with pond plants as you can guess!

The water hyssop is a marginal plant and only needs its roots in the
water as far as I understand, so I was thinking of positioning it on
bricks which I have stacked up in the barrel so that it can just stand
near the top of the water - will that work? Will I have to protect it
in the winter?

The plants are here and waiting to go in, so any advice asap please!!

Thanks - Lynda

Victoria Clare 21-05-2003 01:32 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Lynda Thornton wrote in
:

Hi

I just received one each of these plants by mail order this morning
and wanted to make sure how best to plant them in my water barrel
pond. I understand that the water hawthorn is a deep water marginal,
so should I plant it in a basket and put it straight in at the bottom
of the barrel? The water is probably between 12" and 18" deep, so will
it be OK to go straight in at that depth? Does it need stones in the
bottom to stop it floating about and how will the soil stay in the
basket? I'm a newbie with pond plants as you can guess!

Fill the basket with ordinary garden soil. You can add some stones if
like me you have more stones than soil available!

The basket will create clouds of mud when you lower it in, but that
should settle quickly enough. Make sure you hold the basket with both
hands and lower it right to the bottom. Once it is in, don't try and
take it out again till the plants have got a good hold, or mud will be
everywhere!

12" may be a little shallow - if you are putting a basket underneath it
there will only be a few inches of water on top. My water hawthorn is
in about 2 foot of water to the bottom of the basket, and seems happy.

The water hyssop is a marginal plant and only needs its roots in the
water as far as I understand, so I was thinking of positioning it on
bricks which I have stacked up in the barrel so that it can just stand
near the top of the water - will that work? Will I have to protect it
in the winter?

I don't have a water hyssop, but I find that this is a good approach for
marginals where you otherwise have a steep drop. Don't just put the
hyssop on top of the bricks - it will need a basket or a pot to hold
the soil/compost together and give it something to get its roots into.

Position the edge of this pot or basket a few millimeters under the
water, and then either use white stones around the base of the plant to
distract they eye away from the pot line, or over-fill the pot and mound
the soil up with the plant on top, so that only the mound sticks out.

A few flat stones in the pot will help prevent the mound crumbling
away before your plants have got their roots in to hold it all
together.

If you have tadpoles or a goldfish in the barrel, an alternative to
bricks is an upside down plantpot or basket with chunks cut out. You
won't see it, but it means there is a bit more water space and a handy
shelter for them.

Victoria

Kay Easton 21-05-2003 06:44 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
Hi

I just received one each of these plants by mail order this morning and
wanted to make sure how best to plant them in my water barrel pond. I
understand that the water hawthorn is a deep water marginal, so should I
plant it in a basket and put it straight in at the bottom of the barrel?

yes

The water is probably between 12" and 18" deep, so will it be OK to go
straight in at that depth?

Use bricks to support it so its leaves are floating on the top. Then, as
it gets leaves with longer stems, gradually lower it.

Does it need stones in the bottom to stop it
floating about and how will the soil stay in the basket?

Shouldn't need stones once it's waterlogged. If it isn't already potted
up, use aquatic compost, which is especially low nutrient to save you
getting a lot of algae. The soil will stay in through gravity ;-) But
you could put a few small flat stones on top of the pot if you're
worried.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Lynda Thornton 22-05-2003 10:32 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Hi

Thanks ladies for the advice, I'll see how they do in their new habitat!

Lynda

Lynda Thornton 22-05-2003 10:44 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

In article , Victoria
Clare writes
Lynda Thornton wrote in
:

[...]

I've now planted it and there is probably 6" of water above it so I hope
that's enough, there's maybe another inch or so if I completely fill the
barrel to the top.

[...]

Hi Victoria

Yes, I meant I would be putting the hyssop in a basket/pot first, I just
didn't make that clear! I am a bit confused though, because the rather
undetailed blurb that came with the plants said not to get the crown of
the marginal plant get too wet, and I've got it positioned now so that
the top of the pot is just below the waterline, so in that case the
crown of the plant is definitely getting wet. Is this a problem?

Also, I found that a plant from last year, with an arrowhead-shaped leaf
and white flowers on long stems (can't remember the name!), which got
killed by blackbirds digging it up in the rain, had multiplied and left
some bulbs in the barrel which I noticed were sprouting and which I
thought had been dropped by birds! I planted one in a pot I had and lo
and behold an arrowhead leaf started growing! So I've now got a new
plant growing in a pot with the top also just under the waterline, so
will this be suitable conditions?

Lynda

Victoria Clare 22-05-2003 11:20 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Lynda Thornton wrote in news:CIuhEiAGRTz+EwJ3
@btinternet.com:

Yes, I meant I would be putting the hyssop in a basket/pot first, I just
didn't make that clear! I am a bit confused though, because the rather
undetailed blurb that came with the plants said not to get the crown of
the marginal plant get too wet, and I've got it positioned now so that
the top of the pot is just below the waterline, so in that case the
crown of the plant is definitely getting wet. Is this a problem?

I don't know specifically for water hyssop, but personally I'd just keep an
eye on it and see how it goes on. If it starts to look sad, try standing
it on another brick.

Most watery plants tolerate varying levels as they have to put up with them
on the borders of natural ponds and in water meadows. As long as most of
the top is out of the water and the roots are soggy they seem to manage.

It may be that hyssop doesn't like having its top frozen in ice though -
which of course you won't be able to tell till it is too late.

Here's hoping someone else can give you advice specific to water hyssop.

I am sure your water hawthorn will adapt though. I failed to follow Kay's
cunning advice with mine and just dumped it ruthlessly into deepish water -
in a couple of days the stems had stretched up to the surface anyway and
this year it has had a lot of spidery little baby hawthorns.

Victoria

Mark 22-05-2003 11:32 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
Lynda Thornton wrote in news:CIuhEiAGRTz+EwJ3
@btinternet.com:

I am sure your water hawthorn will adapt though. I failed to follow Kay's
cunning advice with mine and just dumped it ruthlessly into deepish

water -
in a couple of days the stems had stretched up to the surface anyway and
this year it has had a lot of spidery little baby hawthorns.

Does it self seed as I have lots of spidery things growing in the pond ?

Mark

Victoria Clare 23-05-2003 12:32 AM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

"Mark" wrote in news:nibza.24770$xd5.1246340
@stones.force9.net:

in a couple of days the stems had stretched up to the surface anyway and
this year it has had a lot of spidery little baby hawthorns.

Does it self seed as I have lots of spidery things growing in the pond ?

No idea what it is up to: I just know it has made more of itself either
vegitatively (?) or by seed. It did flower well last year, so I suppose it
could be from seed.

Victoria

David W.E. Roberts 23-05-2003 08:08 PM

water hawthorn and water hyssop - urgent advice pls!

Water hawthorn appears to self seed - it is all over our pond in stones,
pots, the mud at the bottom, everywhere.
We have to weed the pond to keep it under control.
Fortunately it seems to flower early (February sometimes) and to be mainly
over when the water lillies get into gear, so they don't compete too much.