Old 21-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

Default Clematis eater

I planted a clematis in March while it was dormant. When doing so, the
(thin anyway) old growth broke off. I saw some growth about a month
ago, but the biggest of the emerging stems got stuck at 5cm. I
tried to examine it and I realised that it was munched off just under
the soil surface. The same thing happened to another 3 of them, that
did not even make it to 5cm.

When I planted the clematis, I sprinkled some slug repellent (the bio
one, that just deters them from crawling to the target) and topped it
up again another couple of times since then. The brick I am using to
provide some shade to the roots has been home to 5 slugs in the past
(but I am not checking it all that regularly). Any idea what's eating
the clematis?

Thanks in advance,
Kostas
Old 21-05-2003, 10:56 PM
bnd777

Still slugs and snails probably

put a collar of plastic cut from a lemonade bottle round the plant .......a
layer of small gravel instead of the stone plus another sprinkling of slug
pellets and keep your fingers crossed

.np.hx...

Old 21-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Miriam

[...]

Clematis is one thing I have nevr previously been able to
grow. I thought
the plants suffered from Clematis wilt. Then a clematis
breeder told me
to use slug pellets . The main problem plant was E Pennel.
which was OK
to a certain extent afterwards although a bit weak. However
having seen a
person with \ roof garden who groiws everything in pots I
decided to leave
the new plants in large pots with slug pellets result large
success:-)

..

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 AM
Charlie Pridham

[...]

I am not a great fan of the stone on roots advice often given for clematis,
it only harbours slugs and snails (the latter being the most likely culprit
in your case) Clematis could not care less about sun on their roots, what
they want is moisture, so as long as it doesn't dry out it will be fine
without a snail hotel!
other possible culprits are mice and voles, and Ghost moth caterpillars
(large white things that live in the soil) I don't suffer from the last but
someone who does may help you out with how to get rid of them.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

"Shark" Algae Eater? stricks760 Ponds 2 02-02-2004 11:02 PM
plecostomus (ALege Eater) graham Ponds 5 21-06-2003 04:08 AM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:23 AM
Chinese Algae Eater Mike K Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 07:15 AM
cold water algae eater JohnDoe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 03:44 PM