Old 21-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Andrew May

Default New Lawnmower Advice Please

Hi,

I need a new mower so before committing hard earned dosh thought I
should ask the experts.

Last year I spent most of the summer grubbing up the jungle at the
bottom of my garden, levelling and sowing lawn. The advantage of this
is that cutting back brambles, nettles and elder is no longer part of
my routine garden maintenance. The downside is that my lawn (or rather
grass) has doubled in area.

Since my electric Flymo is getting on in its years and dragging that
length of cable around is getting to be a right PITA I have decided to
take the plunge and go for a new petrol mower. The lawn is
approximately 80?x35? and at the moment is pretty much rectangular. In
the future when I get to do a major redesign it will likely become
circular or elliptical. It is flat ? but a bit undulating through
neglect.

I want something that is going to last so have a budget up to around
£350. I am NOT looking for a cheapy from one of the sheds.

Looking around and Googling on u.r.g I have found that I could get the
Honda Izy 18? self-propelled within my budget and this seems to be a
well thought of machine. However a lot of people have recommended the
Hayter Harrier as being a better option although for the money I would
only be able to get the 16? push model.

So, two questions. What is the optimum size mower for this size lawn
and how much of an advantage is having something self-propelled, or to
put it another way how difficult would one of these be to push when
the grass has been allowed to get to three or four inches high.

Finally, are there any other mowers within this budget other than
these two that would be a better bet?

Thanks in Advance.

Andrew
Old 21-05-2003, 05:32 PM
Doug Kanter

A friend of mine runs a small lawn care service here (New York), and he
swears by Honda mowers. His lawn speaks volumes for their quality as well.
Suggestion: Get one which can accept a bag, even if you don't plan on using
it often. My neighbor uses his to sweep up fallen leaves. The mower doesn't
leave a single crumb when he's finished, and it's spectacular material for
your compost heap.

Old 21-05-2003, 06:20 PM
Dave Liquorice

On 21 May 2003 08:54:47 -0700, Andrew May wrote:

how much of an advantage is having something self-propelled, or
to put it another way how difficult would one of these be to push
when the grass has been allowed to get to three or four inches high.

With a petrol rotary the push against tall grass isn't so much of
problem. The problem is the weight and pushing it over any small
dents,lumps or up hills. I'd go for self propelled unless your lawn
really is smooth.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 21-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Laurie Moseley

I too have a Honda and have had 5 years of efficient and untroubled service
from it. It does 2 lawns (40 metres by 30 metres with slope with a 5 feet fall
for one and 20 metres by 10 metres the other) in about an hour. The point about
it tidying up clippings, leaves, and even smallish twigs is also useful.

I'd recommend it.

Laurie
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf
Old 21-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Robert

In message , Andrew May
writes
Hi,

I need a new mower so before committing hard earned dosh thought I
should ask the experts.

snip

[...]

We were in a similar position to you last year but with two lawns which
together are around 1800 m2 and we bought an Izy. No problems with it
so far, it is very easy to start and okay to use. I have used it on
very damp grass 100/120mm long and it copes very well on somewhat
uneven, sloping ground. It is quite sturdy with a powder coated steel
deck which is not too bad to clean although there are a couple places
that are awkward to get at. Whilst the Hayter will probably last longer
I would not be without the self-propelled option.
--
Robert