Old 21-05-2003, 07:44 PM
geoff

Default Hollyhocks

Urglers,

Please can someone advise on the cause and cure of masses of yellow spots -
merging into yellow areas - on the leaves of hollyhocks.

Regards

Geoff

Old 21-05-2003, 08:32 PM
Emrys Davies

'geoff',

It's rust for which they are very very prone. I have given up growing
them because of the hassle as I failed to find an answer to it.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 21-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Zizz

There's not much that can really be done with hollyhock rust ... I planted
my 1st hollyhocks last year and they got so badly infected with the rust
that I ended up having to pull up all but the least infected.
However the ones I decided to keep I cut down to the ground, thinking I'd
probably killed them, resprouted and the bits that showed any sign at all of
rust I clipped off ... so far (fingers crossed) I've one growing without
rust signs!

Old 22-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"geoff" wrote in message
Please can someone advise on the cause and cure of masses of yellow

spots -
merging into yellow areas - on the leaves of hollyhocks.

It's a fungus infection known as Rust. It's quite common and has a
devastating effect on Hollyhocks. Which is why they aren't anywhere so
common as they used to be when I was a lad.
Cut off and burn/dispose of any leaves infected, don't leave any plant
debris on the ground now or over winter. Spray regularly with a fungicide as
a preventative.

Thank's for reminding me, I'll do mine tomorrow. :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 22-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Pinot Grigio

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message
Please can someone advise on the cause and cure of masses of yellow

spots -
merging into yellow areas - on the leaves of hollyhocks.

It's a fungus infection known as Rust. It's quite common and has a
devastating effect on Hollyhocks. Which is why they aren't anywhere so
common as they used to be when I was a lad.
Cut off and burn/dispose of any leaves infected, don't leave any plant
debris on the ground now or over winter. Spray regularly with a fungicide

as
a preventative.

Thank's for reminding me, I'll do mine tomorrow. :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Does spraying with washing-up liquid have any effect? I don't use any
chemicals because of the wildlife.

Old 22-05-2003, 04:20 PM
Cupra

snip
|=20
| Does spraying with washing-up liquid have any effect? I don't use any
| chemicals because of the wildlife.
|=20
|=20

Note sure about washing up liquid as a solution, but don't forget that =
most contain salt, so *may* not be the best thing to use repeatedly!
Old 22-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Andy

On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:58:10 +0100, "Pinot Grigio"
wrote:

Please can someone advise on the cause and cure of masses of yellow

spots -
merging into yellow areas - on the leaves of hollyhocks.

It's a fungus infection known as Rust. It's quite common and has a
devastating effect on Hollyhocks. Which is why they aren't anywhere so
common as they used to be when I was a lad.
Cut off and burn/dispose of any leaves infected, don't leave any plant
debris on the ground now or over winter. Spray regularly with a fungicide

as
a preventative.

snip

Does spraying with washing-up liquid have any effect? I don't use any
chemicals because of the wildlife.

Since when has washing up liquid not been a chemical? ;-] You could
always use Ecover; though I think that soaps are useful against
aphids, rather than fungi.

Andy

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Pinot Grigio

wrote:

Please can someone advise on the cause and cure of masses of yellow
spots -
merging into yellow areas - on the leaves of hollyhocks.

snip

Does spraying with washing-up liquid have any effect? I don't use any
chemicals because of the wildlife.

Since when has washing up liquid not been a chemical? ;-] You could
always use Ecover; though I think that soaps are useful against
aphids, rather than fungi.

Andy

I suppose it is chemical when you think about it. As you eat from dishes
washed in the stuff, it doesn's seem to be in quite the same leaque as the
killer stuff.

Old 23-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Sacha wrote:

Nonetheless, one should always rinse dishes to remove soap traces. The
Bristol Cancer Clinc (IIRC) claimed that an accumulation of washing up
liquid in the body is a carcinogenic. Apart from anything else, food and
drink taste horrid from un-rinsed plates and glasses!

Full marks, Sacha, full marks!

In the past I have discussed the use of sulphur against rust, btw. Not
a man-made chemical, for those of you who care.

Kostas

Old 23-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Kostas wrote in message

In the past I have discussed the use of sulphur against rust, btw. Not
a man-made chemical, for those of you who care.

But would it work on Hollyhocks? They do suffer badly.
Then would Bordeaux Mixture work too as we use that on our outdoor Tomatoes
as a preventative against Blight, another fungus infection. Mind you the
hollyhocks would not look too good in the border all covered in white.

hollyhocks [email protected] Gardening 4 22-07-2003 05:32 PM
Hollyhocks stuart noble United Kingdom 2 30-06-2003 07:56 PM
Hollyhocks Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 0 14-06-2003 11:32 AM
Caterpillars on Hollyhocks Roy United Kingdom 10 23-04-2003 02:59 PM
Hollyhocks Leaves Look Like Lace Doilies! Fleemo Gardening 2 24-02-2003 09:29 PM