GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Another tomato question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28133-another-tomato-question.html)

Michael Calwell 22-05-2003 10:08 AM

Another tomato question

Hello,

My toms are rocketing now, like pubescent children as viewed by an
infrequently visiting relative. I am convinced I can actually see them grow.
They are beginning to emit that pungent odour that takes me back to memories
of greenhouses visited as a child.

However, I am bemused by the instructions that came with them. They state to
'remove side shoots'. What, does this mean to denude the plant completely?

Michael

Tim 22-05-2003 10:20 AM

Another tomato question

On Thu, 22 May 2003 09:07:01 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell
wrote:

Hello,

My toms are rocketing now, like pubescent children as viewed by an
infrequently visiting relative. I am convinced I can actually see them
grow.
They are beginning to emit that pungent odour that takes me back to
memories
of greenhouses visited as a child.

However, I am bemused by the instructions that came with them. They state
'remove side shoots'. What, does this mean to denude the plant
completely?

Michael

There's a paragraph and sketch on this page about it:
http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/vegetables/tomatoes/

Tim.

Michael Berridge 28-05-2003 12:32 PM

Another tomato question

Michael Calwell wrote in message ...
Hello,

My toms are rocketing now, like pubescent children as viewed by an
infrequently visiting relative. I am convinced I can actually see them

grow.
They are beginning to emit that pungent odour that takes me back to

memories
of greenhouses visited as a child.

However, I am bemused by the instructions that came with them. They

state to
'remove side shoots'. What, does this mean to denude the plant

completely?

yes, all the shoots that com from the leaf joints should be removed,
(not the bits with flowers on though). Once you have 4 or five trusses
set with fruit it is often a good idea to pinch out the leading shoot,
certainly that is recommended, but I've often ignored it. You then get
better and bigger fruit as all the plants energy goes into producing
tomatoes.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk