GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cottage Garden Plant Suggestions Wanted (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28161-cottage-garden-plant-suggestions-wanted.html)

Pinot Grigio 22-05-2003 03:44 PM

Cottage Garden Plant Suggestions Wanted

More by accident than design, at the moment my garden looks really good, but
in a few weeks time, there will be very little flowering.
I have a major problem and that is DEER. We love having them in the garden
really and the plants that are growing at the moment the deer more or less
leave alone. The real garden problem is slugs.
Currently, I have aqualegia, foxgloves, (Michaelmas?) daisies,
forget-me-nots, osteospernum, iris (lemon stinky iris?).
Coming soon, dusty millers (white & dark pink), a type of cottage iris, and
a variety of poppies. Then almost nothing apart from the odd plant that has
survived the deer like japanese anemone, hollyhocks.
The only bedding plants I get are busy-lizzies as if I sort of hide them,
the deer don't eat all of them! The rest are a waste of money. If the deer
don't eat them, the slugs will, or the squirrels will dig them up!
What I really want, are more cottage garden type plants that will flower
July onwards and self-seed like most of the current plants do.
Any suggestions please? I don't like red colours much and definitely not
orange.

A.Malhotra 23-05-2003 12:33 PM

Pinot Grigio wrote:

The only bedding plants I get are busy-lizzies as if I sort of hide them,
the deer don't eat all of them! The rest are a waste of money. If the deer
don't eat them, the slugs will, or the squirrels will dig them up!
What I really want, are more cottage garden type plants that will flower
July onwards and self-seed like most of the current plants do.
Any suggestions please? I don't like red colours much and definitely not
orange.

Don't know about deer or squirrels but we do have a slug problem. Verbena
bonairensis seems to be reisistant to slugs and is really good value later
in the year, and I've been told self-seeds readily. I tried it for the firt
time last year so I haven't found out if this is true yet. What about hardy
geraniums? There are hundreds of varieties, a long flowering period, a
variety of colours in the pink, magenta, blue and white range, a range of
sizes and behaviours (ground-cover to mound-forming) and slug resistance. I
love them. Echinops (globe thistle), Eryngium (sea hollies) and teasles all
flower later in the year and are lovely stately plants (I believe the word
is architectural) and I've never seen a slug go near them. They all have
blue flowers. Teasels would surely deter deer too being rather spiky, look
great when the seed heads are left to overwinter and attract goldfinches
too. They certainly self-seed if they like the conditions! They'll take
over if you let them but I've found a few hours spent in early spring
digging out unwanted seedlings before the tap root really gets going sorts
them out. If you dead-head regularly the Geums seem to keep going well into
autumn (ours starts in spring so has a really impressive flowering period).
There are some yellow ones though others are red. How about fennel? Lovely
foliage and yellow flower heads later in the year. I suppose the deer might
have a taste for aniseed but the slugs don't like it. Mint too, although it
does get a bit rampant you could try and control it by planting it in a
bottomless bucket. Verbascums? Esp the type with big felty leaves. Scotch
thistles? Or even milk thistles (which rejoice in the lovely name of
Silybum): a bit too spiky for me but look lovely.

Hope you like some of these ideas.
Anita

Barry & Iris McCanna 23-05-2003 12:56 PM

"Pinot Grigio" wrote in message
[...]

Apart from those you've mentioned, here Polemonium self-seed as do
astrantia, violas, hardy geraniums, anemone sylvestris, euphorbia,
just to name a few. Penstemons are great as the slugs don't touch
them - don't know about deer though!

Iris McCanna

Pinot Grigio 23-05-2003 03:22 PM

"A.Malhotra" wrote in message

Pinot Grigio wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your ideas.
Verbascum - I have tried before and for some reason they have just died. I
always look for healthy plants when I buy them so I don't know what went
wrong with them.
Verbena - I have not tried any hardy varieties so will look for them.
Geraniums - The deer love them. I do have a few hardy varieties that do ok
if almost smothered by other plants so the deer don't find them easily.
Echinops & Eryngium - Yes the deer would probably leave them alone and I
will look into these although I usually avoid prickly plants in the borders!
Fennel - would be interesting.
Mint - ARGHH! It used to grow all over the place!

Pinot Grigio 23-05-2003 03:45 PM

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for replying.
Polemonium - a new name for me but I've looked it up and I like it. Is it a
name not often seen in the garden centre? I will check it out next time.
Astrantia - I have a variegated variety that does very well.
Violas - they do well and seed themselves around. They mostly seem to be
early flowering though.
Anemone - They do ok in my garden. I have a few spring varieties and the
japanese anemone that will flower around July.
Eurphorbia - I have one type that grows like a weed! The deer don't eat it
though.
Penstemons - I like these and usually buy a few plants. They don't often
survive till the following year though.
I don't have a greenhouse (yet) and for now have given up trying to grow
plants from seed unless they seed themselves or the seed can be sewn in the
garden. Probably why the early plants do well is that they have had a
chance to grow before the slugs and snails have taken over.

Barry & Iris McCanna 23-05-2003 07:33 PM

[...]

I've tried to mail you off-group with the offer of a polemonium to
try, but the mail has been returned. I cannot see any spam trap. If
you are interested please mail me off-group.

Iris McCanna

Trevor Appleton 24-05-2003 10:01 PM

Cottage Garden Plant Suggestions Wanted

Thanks for replying.
Polemonium - a new name for me but I've looked it up and I like it.

...You may have heard of its common name - Jacobs Ladder. Nice in blue or
white. Dead head and it will produce more flowers. Leave to seed and you'll
have palnts everywhere next year.

---