Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
ConnieD.

Default Wisteria and foundations question

Hoping someone may be able to advise about planting a wisteria next to a
house wall and any problems I should be aware of regarding the foundations
of said house and roots of said wisteria. Also, what tips would you give in
ensuring the wisteria survives and thrives should it be a suitable plant to
have next to the house and how would I train it to go around a corner so it
partially covers 2 walls.
Thanks for any help.
Regards ConnieD.

Old 22-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"ConnieD." wrote in message
Hoping someone may be able to advise about planting a wisteria next to a
house wall and any problems I should be aware of regarding the foundations
of said house and roots of said wisteria.

Should be no problem

Also, what tips would you give in
ensuring the wisteria survives and thrives should it be a suitable plant

have next to the house and how would I train it to go around a corner so

it
partially covers 2 walls.

Simply put up training wires using strong wall anchors and heavy duty
galvanised garden wire and tie in growt to the wire as it suits you.

pk

Old 22-05-2003, 11:20 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"ConnieD." wrote in message
Hoping someone may be able to advise about planting a wisteria next to a
house wall and any problems I should be aware of regarding the foundations
of said house and roots of said wisteria. Also, what tips would you give

in
ensuring the wisteria survives and thrives should it be a suitable plant

have next to the house and how would I train it to go around a corner so

it
partially covers 2 walls.

If you look around you will see some very old houses with huge Wisterias
climbing all over them and the tree sized trunk right next to the walls,
they are still standing. We have had no problems with drain damage or signs
of roots in the drains either and we have a manhole not 6 ft from the trunk
of ours. It's not a problem as far as I know, but what can be a problem is
when it starts to grow well the shoots will twine around and into anything
so watch out for telephone wires, gutters, drain pipes, shutters, etc.
If you can, plant it a couple of feet away from the wall and just guide it
back to the wall as it grows.
They can be extremely slow to start once planted, ours grew only a few
inches in 4 seasons but 20ft in the 5th. They like to get their roots down
first I was told.
A south facing wall is the perfect place for one of these plants, they do
need sun on the leaves to flower well. First decide where you want the
plant/foliage and then drill the walls and screw in Vine Eyes so you can run
wires along the walls to which you can attach the plants shoots as they
grow, use strong wire too. You will get lots of shoots to use eventually.
:-)
First tie the strongest shoots into the wire framework until it's full and
then don't allow other shoots to take over, prune them hard during the
summer and back to 2 or 3 buds after leaf fall. These will then make the
flowering spurs you need, after a few years they begin to resemble antlers.
(well they do to me)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.