Old 22-05-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Pest Killer

Is there anything which I can use on my vegetable patch which will
kill all ground-living insects ?
Old 22-05-2003, 08:08 PM
Drakanthus

Is there anything which I can use on my vegetable patch which will
kill all ground-living insects ?

That doesn't sound like a good idea - killing both useful and harmful
insects. If anything was that toxic it killed all ground living insects I
certainly wouldn't want to eat any veg grown there!

Are there some particular pests you want to get rid of?

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 22-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Tumbleweed

wrote in message
Is there anything which I can use on my vegetable patch which will
kill all ground-living insects ?

In what respect? As a one off? They'll come back. For an extended period of
time? Sure, but I wouldn't advise eating anything you've grown after that,
assuming you could grow anything.
--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 22-05-2003, 09:56 PM

Until 2 years ago my vegetable patch was fertile and productive.
Since then yields range , depending upon the particular crop, from
zero to 10 %.
Root crops, carrot, parsnip, radish - produce no more than 1 % of
plants and those pathetically small.
Peas, beans, brassica plants all struggle to grow - when I examine
them I find that they have very weak root systems.
I am convinced that some underground beasties are eating them.
I also have noticed a scattering of surface holes of about 1-2 mm
diameter.
One factor which may be relevant is that 3-4 years ago I started
applying large amounts of horse manure (encouraged by the fact that it
was available free of charge) However, I haven't applied any for at
least one year.
If anyone can suggest a diagnosis , and preferably prescribe a cure ,
I will be eternally grateful :-)
Otherwise, I can think of nothing other than a chemical sterilization.
Hence my original question - what chemical to use ?

Old 22-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Drakanthus

One factor which may be relevant is that 3-4 years ago I started
applying large amounts of horse manure (encouraged by the fact that it
was available free of charge) However, I haven't applied any for at
least one year.
If anyone can suggest a diagnosis , and preferably prescribe a cure ,
I will be eternally grateful :-)

I have heard of similar symptoms (except for the holes which may be a red
herring) caused by over manuring vegetable plots and turning the soil too
acidic. It may be worth while getting one of those PH testing kits and
testing the soil. If it is too acidic you simply need to dig some lime into
the soil to neutralise it and the soil will be productive once again.

Old 22-05-2003, 10:44 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Shame on you, if you can't live with nature

Robert

Old 23-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Thomas Greeves

wrote in message
Is there anything which I can use on my vegetable patch which will
kill all ground-living insects ?

If the pests are blackfly or greenfly then you could use sprayday or bug
clear.
If its carrot or cabbage root fly then there is no chemical treatment
available on the amateur market. Instead you would have to grow resistant
varieties or put up a one metre (3 foot if you prefer) high barrier. Fibre
fleece could also be used.