Old 23-05-2003, 03:22 PM
Lynda Thornton

Default Frogbit, water hyacinth - opinions, and dwarf water lily recommendation?

Hi

I like my current water barrel feature so much that I'm thinking of
getting another one, or even two ... the ones I've seen are about 28"
diameter and 18" high. I would be thinking of still water for these as
I have a little fountain in my current one.

I'd love to have a dwarf water lily, and some floating plants as well
and have seen both frogbit and water hyacinth which look pretty, have
flowers and don't seem to present much of a problem. Are they both
relatively hardy and low maintenance?

Which water lily would be happy in that size of barrel?

Thanks for your opinons!
--
Lynda Thornton
Old 23-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
.

I'd love to have a dwarf water lily, and some floating plants as well
and have seen both frogbit and water hyacinth which look pretty, have
flowers and don't seem to present much of a problem. Are they both
relatively hardy and low maintenance?

Water hyacinth is definitely not hardy - you will loose it in the first
winter.

Frogbit is as tough as old boots but:
1. mine has never flowered though it has gone forth and multiplied like
billyoh.
2. it dies back in the winter and falls to the bottom of the pond to
resurface about May time. It will also multiply like mad!!

Which water lily would be happy in that size of barrel?

A tiny one - don't know any names - but the tiniest ones are often very
expensive (
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 24-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Lynda Thornton

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , Lynda Thornton
writes
.

I'd love to have a dwarf water lily, and some floating plants as well
and have seen both frogbit and water hyacinth which look pretty, have
flowers and don't seem to present much of a problem. Are they both
relatively hardy and low maintenance?

Water hyacinth is definitely not hardy - you will loose it in the first
winter.

Frogbit is as tough as old boots but:
1. mine has never flowered though it has gone forth and multiplied like
billyoh.
2. it dies back in the winter and falls to the bottom of the pond to
resurface about May time. It will also multiply like mad!!

Which water lily would be happy in that size of barrel?

A tiny one - don't know any names - but the tiniest ones are often very
expensive (

Hi

Thanks for the info!

I might give the hyacinth a miss which is a pity as it looked an
attractive plant to have but not if it needs lots of TLC and faff! I
might try the frogbit and see what happens and investigate the
possibilities of a teeny weeny water lily at an affordable price

Lynda

Old 25-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , Lynda Thornton
writes

Frogbit is as tough as old boots but:
1. mine has never flowered though it has gone forth and multiplied like
billyoh.
2. it dies back in the winter and falls to the bottom of the pond to
resurface about May time. It will also multiply like mad!!

I should have said that when it comes to the surface in May sometime, it
doesn't look anything like frogbit!! Each bit looks like little dark
green rugby ball shaped bean about the size of a small wood louse or
largish ant!! The leaves slowly sprout from this pod.

I might give the hyacinth a miss which is a pity as it looked an
attractive plant

That's what I thought and I gave it a try. Even brought it inside in the
winter - but it didn't seem to get enough light as it still died

to have but not if it needs lots of TLC and faff! I
might try the frogbit and see what happens and investigate the
possibilities of a teeny weeny water lily at an affordable price

Good luck

Old 27-05-2003, 10:44 PM
Victoria Clare

Lynda Thornton wrote in
:

might try the frogbit and see what happens and investigate the
possibilities of a teeny weeny water lily at an affordable price

I got my pond plants from http://www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk/ and can
recommend them. The site has good info about growing sizes, lots of water
lilies, and their prices are cheap.

While I was trying to remember the address, I ran a quick search and found
http://www.wetlandplants.co.uk/ and http://www.pondplants-online.com/ who
also seem to have a lot of lilies, but I have not ordered from either yet.

Victoria Clare