Old 23-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Plum

Default tiny spiders (slightly OT)

Attached to a brick in the garden I found a yellowish protuberance about the
size of a grape. I thought it must be something which had blown down from
one of the nearby trees.
When I disturbed it, however, to my amazement it became clear that it was
actually a clump of extremely small spider-like creatures. Each was fairly
bright yellow with a dark dot visible at one end.

Anyone got a clue exactly what they might be?

Julia P

Old 23-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Pam Moore

On Fri, 23 May 2003 19:39:14 +0100, "Plum"
wrote:

Attached to a brick in the garden I found a yellowish protuberance about the
size of a grape. I thought it must be something which had blown down from
one of the nearby trees.
When I disturbed it, however, to my amazement it became clear that it was
actually a clump of extremely small spider-like creatures. Each was fairly
bright yellow with a dark dot visible at one end.

They are baby garden spiders which are fascinating to watch. When
disturbed they spread out as you saw and then cluster together again.
Left alone they will develop into those big garden FRIENDS which have
the white cross on their "backs". You are privileged to have seen
them and to have them in your garden.

Pam in Bristol
Old 23-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Daddy

wrote:

Attached to a brick in the garden I found a yellowish protuberance about

the
size of a grape. I thought it must be something which had blown down

from
one of the nearby trees.
When I disturbed it, however, to my amazement it became clear that it was
actually a clump of extremely small spider-like creatures. Each was

fairly
bright yellow with a dark dot visible at one end.

They are baby garden spiders which are fascinating to watch. When
disturbed they spread out as you saw and then cluster together again.
Left alone they will develop into those big garden FRIENDS which have
the white cross on their "backs". You are privileged to have seen
them and to have them in your garden.

First time I saw them in my garden I was fascinated too. Hours of
amusement - like a child's toy. This year we had loads in the garage but
wasn't too impressed when I got a face full of them as I opened the garage
door and disturbed a bunch!

Pam in Bristol

Old 24-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

They are baby garden spiders which are fascinating to watch. When
disturbed they spread out as you saw and then cluster together

again.
Left alone they will develop into those big garden FRIENDS which

have
the white cross on their "backs". You are privileged to have seen
them and to have them in your garden.

Pam in Bristol

For the first time this year, I've had several "masses" of them
attached to the inside of the greenhouse.

Iris McCanna

Old 28-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Druss

wrote:

[...]

Hey they got me in teh same way this year, only it was in the shed, they had
nested in the beams/corrugated plastic roof, and when I opened the door,
they all abandoned the nest and abscaled down onto me, yeuch, at least I
could pretend they were money spiders, made me a bit more cautious about how
I walk in the shed now though.
Duncan

Old 29-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Plum

wrote:

Attached to a brick in the garden I found a yellowish protuberance

about
the
size of a grape. When I disturbed it, however, to my amazement

it became clear that it
was
actually a clump of extremely small spider-like creatures. Each was

fairly
bright yellow with a dark dot visible at one end.

They are baby garden spiders which are fascinating to watch. When
disturbed they spread out as you saw and then cluster together again.

Thanks to all who replied.

I've been monitoring the 'babies' each day since finding them. They
separated into two smaller clumps, and later some small thread-like 'webs'
appeared. Today when I checked, they'd dispersed altogether. I hope they're
now independent enough to survive -but it was fun watching them.

Julia P

Old 29-05-2003, 08:20 AM
Pickle

I've been monitoring the 'babies' each day since finding them. They
separated into two smaller clumps, and later some small thread-like 'webs'
appeared. Today when I checked, they'd dispersed altogether. I hope

they're
now independent enough to survive -but it was fun watching them.

Julia P

If you have a look round your garden you will probably find their little
weeny first webs strung on all your bushes!

Old 29-05-2003, 05:56 PM
andrewpreece

If this is the garden Cross spider ( Diademata ) be informed that they
will bite if they feel like it. It's not a big deal, but something to be
aware of.

Andy

"Druss" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Tiny spiders and ants invade my fruit trees... [email protected] United Kingdom 4 10-04-2017 09:10 AM
Tiny tiny blue flowers Paddy's Pig[_2_] Garden Photos 2 22-03-2008 05:39 AM
Tiny spiders. Juggs United Kingdom 3 16-05-2004 11:20 PM
[IBC] scales (was:Killing little white spiders?) Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 15 31-01-2003 11:58 PM
[IBC] Killing little white spiders? Dave Stegink Bonsai 3 31-01-2003 06:49 PM