Old 23-05-2003, 10:58 PM
shannie

Default Living screen??

Please excuse the fairly long posting. Come Autumn I hope to dig up some old
and very tired shrubs in the front garden. The bed I want to redo is along a
wall, the wall is only about 2ft high and about 15ft long and just over the
wall is a new oil tank standing 6ft high. Coming up the gardens towards this
tank is a howling northern gale, there are leylandii 40ft or so from this
but beyond is just fields as far as the eye can see and you can imagine,
they are a good break but not wonderful. I'd like to put some kind of living
screen in this bed, something that will grow to about 6/7ft. Not
leylandii....the middle of the garden is fine for them but not the front
garden. What could I plant that will take the brunt of a north wind on one
side, the heat of the southern sun on the other and won't undermine the oil
tank?? I had considered bamboo but someone told me it had to be cut down,
I'd prefer something permanent, fairly fast growning as Im sick of looking
at the oil tank everytime I pull into the driveway Oh one other thing, I
can't put in trellis as the foundations of the wall are a mess, whoever put
it in left no room on the north side for planting and the wall's not high
enough to support it with the winds etc.

Any ideas welcome
Thanks

--

Shan (Ireland)
http://ukdiscus.com/main.htm

Old 23-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Jay

what about a willow fedge. Its fast to establish and although you will need
to cut it back once or twice a year its a lot easier than cutting back
Leylandii. But it does need moisture - does the wall make it very dry?

Jay

Old 24-05-2003, 12:00 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's called "Italian Alder" and it can be pruned back to a good
shape, quite thin, and still provide a good wind break. A bit like a Beech
Hedge but much better. They have some in the fruit fields at RHS Wisley.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 24-05-2003, 12:00 AM
shannie

"Jay" wrote in message
what about a willow fedge. Its fast to establish and although you will

need
to cut it back once or twice a year its a lot easier than cutting back
Leylandii. But it does need moisture - does the wall make it very dry?

Jay

It is very dry there, I have put a photo here (I hope it works :-\)
http://community.webshots.com/user/shannie150

This is an old pic, the oil tank is now just behind that pillar and the
leylandii are 30/40ft beyond that again. Then more garden and then three
fields.

Thanks again.

Old 24-05-2003, 07:08 PM
andrewpreece

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

Yew is the bestest hedge, but it'll take five years to blot out your oil
tank.
It is however smart, evergreen and will take any amount of clipping and
regrow from old wood. Sounds like you're out in the country though, so
you may want a more informal hedge. A bit faster, informal, but deciduous
is Quickthorn, which I hear is faster to develop than Hawthorn.
For rapid results this summer, how about Leycesteria Formosa,
the Pheasant Berry, decorative, flowering bracts and berries, slightly
exotic, and will get to six feet in one season? It dies down to nothing in
the winter though! Not sure about its reaction to howling wind. Just some
thoughts,

Andy.

Andy.

Old 25-05-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I think it's called "Italian Alder" and it can be pruned back to a good
shape, quite thin, and still provide a good wind break. A bit like a Beech
Hedge but much better. They have some in the fruit fields at RHS Wisley.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Looked it up on the net Bob and was well taken with it, unfortunately it's
not recommended for windy exposed sites
back to the drawing board I guess.

Old 25-05-2003, 12:32 AM
shannie

Yew is the bestest hedge, but it'll take five years to blot out your oil
tank.
It is however smart, evergreen and will take any amount of clipping and
regrow from old wood.

It may well have to be Yew, perhaps I'll be able to get some larger than
usual one's. What about the root system, could it interfere with the plinth
under the tank??

Sounds like you're out in the country though, so
you may want a more informal hedge. A bit faster, informal, but deciduous
is Quickthorn, which I hear is faster to develop than Hawthorn.

I love Hawthorn but we are absolutely surrounded by it here, I was hoping
for something a little different from the norm.

For rapid results this summer, how about Leycesteria Formosa,
the Pheasant Berry, decorative, flowering bracts and berries, slightly
exotic, and will get to six feet in one season? It dies down to nothing in
the winter though!

That sounded hopeful till the dying down part

Not sure about its reaction to howling wind. Just some
thoughts,

Much appreciated Andy

Shan

Old 25-05-2003, 01:32 AM
David Hill

"......... For rapid results this summer, how about Leycesteria Formosa,
the Pheasant Berry, decorative, flowering bracts and berries, slightly
exotic, and will get to six feet in one season? It dies down to nothing in
the winter though!............"

Not in this part of the world , and some of mine are closer to 10ft.

You could try Forsythia, I know its not evergreen, but I came across one lot
used to hide an oil tank that had taken a spillage of around 20 galls and
was still growing.
Lonicera natidia with privet, golden privet, Laurel, some of the taller
hebe, Grisalina.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-05-2003, 11:45 AM
Ron

Shan,

It sounds like the oil tank is yours so I'm assuming it is.

With a howling north wind and concerns about undermining the tank with tree
roots etc. it is difficult to think of an evergreen screen tall enough to
obscure the sight of the tank.

However, if it cannot be screened, have you thought of hiding it?

Hide it under some plant which scrambles all over it.

I suggest you cover the tank with some durable and strong plastic netting (I
can enviseage using some polypropylene fishing net) then plant and train
some creeping plants to cover it.

There are many experts on the ng who can suggest plants which might do well
in Ireland but Roman vine comes to mind for speed! Then there's a few
evergreen clematis which someone must be able to recommend but whatever
plant, I think it needs to be evergreen.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff

Old 26-05-2003, 12:20 AM
shannie

"Ron" wrote in message

Shan,

It sounds like the oil tank is yours so I'm assuming it is.

Indeed, bad place as far as aesthetics are concerned, but the only place
with access to the road for the tanker.

However, if it cannot be screened, have you thought of hiding it?
Hide it under some plant which scrambles all over it.
I suggest you cover the tank with some durable and strong plastic netting

(I can enviseage using some polypropylene fishing net) then plant and train
some creeping plants to cover it.

Something I had intended doing, however the oilman decided to take a
shortcut through the front garden instead of the side and planted his big
size 9s right in the middle of a young ornamental quince,
smashed it to pieces, then scrambled over the wall dragging the oil line
through the border ....the screen is to hide the tank and put the oilman
off doing further damage so if I grow a plant over the tank Im afraid it'll
be damaged too

There are many experts on the ng who can suggest plants which might do

well
in Ireland but Roman vine comes to mind for speed! Then there's a few
evergreen clematis which someone must be able to recommend but whatever
plant, I think it needs to be evergreen.

Agreed, and fairly well hardy too.....Just as an aside, would evergreen
clematis stand up to the northerly wind and icy rain it brings with
it?....Im thinking perhaps I could grow it through something like forsythina
that David suggested (thanks David)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff

Thanks Geoff

Old 26-05-2003, 06:44 AM
martin

On Mon, 26 May 2003 00:15:56 +0100, "shannie"
wrote:

"Ron" wrote in message

Shan,

It sounds like the oil tank is yours so I'm assuming it is.

Indeed, bad place as far as aesthetics are concerned, but the only place
with access to the road for the tanker.

However, if it cannot be screened, have you thought of hiding it?
Hide it under some plant which scrambles all over it.
I suggest you cover the tank with some durable and strong plastic netting

(I can enviseage using some polypropylene fishing net) then plant and train
some creeping plants to cover it.

Army surplus camouflage netting is a better solution than fishing net.
It lasts years.
Buy the green stuff, not the Iraqi desert coloured stuff.

--
martin
Old 28-05-2003, 10:56 AM
A.Malhotra

Ron wrote:

Shan,

It sounds like the oil tank is yours so I'm assuming it is.

With a howling north wind and concerns about undermining the tank with tree
roots etc. it is difficult to think of an evergreen screen tall enough to
obscure the sight of the tank.

However, if it cannot be screened, have you thought of hiding it?

Hide it under some plant which scrambles all over it.

I suggest you cover the tank with some durable and strong plastic netting (I
can enviseage using some polypropylene fishing net) then plant and train
some creeping plants to cover it.

If you did this, I suspect that the company that supplies the oil would
soon have letters on their way to you threatening to cut off your oil
deliveries unless you removed the fire hazard. Although we have gas not
oil, I think the restrictions are the same. You are not allowed to plant
anything within 1 m of the tank (the last letter we had from our company
said 3 m but I'm not taking that seriously). Planting something that
actually touches the tank would be a big no-no.
Anita
Old 28-05-2003, 12:44 PM
Jay

I should have mentioned though that you need to plant far enough away from
any building for the roots not to undermine foundations. Same considerations
could apply to the oil tank I suppose depending on where and how it is
situated. Sorry about that.

Jay

"shannie" wrote in message
[...]

POOL SCREEN AVAILABLE HERE (LANAI SCREEN POOL CAGE ) The Poolscreen Guy Lawns 2 13-10-2004 02:06 AM
zone 6 screen Bob Hardy Bamboo 9 06-06-2003 05:08 PM
privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
Shrubs/trees for screen Jeremy Cullinan Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Pole beans as a screen? Matt Leber Gardening 8 31-03-2003 05:44 PM