GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Recycled plastic tanks for water butts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28548-recycled-plastic-tanks-water-butts.html)

Doreen Taylor 24-05-2003 10:56 AM

Recycled plastic tanks for water butts

Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water please?
We have two allotments on a site with no water supply and several other plot
holders have these, inherited from previous gardeners.
We are in Chelmsford, Essex.

geoff 24-05-2003 05:09 PM

"Doreen Taylor" wrote in message
Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water please?

Many dairy farmers who make silage spray a mixture of chemicals (formalin
and sulphuric acid) on the grass as it is collected. (And cows love it when
it has matured!) These chemicals come in those large blue barrels and the
main problem is getting the water out of them. Cutting the tops off
seriously weakens them. the best way of using them is to put siphons between
them plus a siphon into a normal water butt fitted with a tap.

Should you find a source of these barrels, make sure you put plenty of
washing soda in them to neutralise the sulphuric acid they contained and
formalin is not very nice either but is very soluble so use plenty of water.

Fenny 25-05-2003 03:56 PM

Recycled plastic tanks for water butts

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Doreen Taylor say...
Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water please?
We have two allotments on a site with no water supply and several other plot
holders have these, inherited from previous gardeners.
We are in Chelmsford, Essex.

Try your local Indian restaurant. They buy spices in plastic barrels
(varying sizes) and I have friends who have acquired these to keep stuff
dry when canoing. Several of these around the allotments should work.
--
Fenny
Fictitious Facts of the Day - From a list by Andrew Burford
#188 - 2,000,000egg cartons and 3,500,00 washing up liquid bottles went
into the making of Star Wars

A.Malhotra 28-05-2003 10:56 AM

Doreen Taylor wrote:

Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water please?
We have two allotments on a site with no water supply and several other plot
holders have these, inherited from previous gardeners.
We are in Chelmsford, Essex.

This URL was in a previous thread on the subject of water butts. I
bookmarked it but haven't used them.

http://www.thetankexchange.com/

Anita

Mary Fisher 08-06-2003 03:20 PM

"A.Malhotra" wrote in message

Doreen Taylor wrote:

Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water

please?
We have two allotments on a site with no water supply and several other

plot
holders have these, inherited from previous gardeners.
We are in Chelmsford, Essex.

This URL was in a previous thread on the subject of water butts. I
bookmarked it but haven't used them.

http://www.thetankexchange.com/

Anita

at:

http://www.waterwiseoffers.co.uk/yw/index2.htm

You'll see the same - with some very special offers.

We're delighted with ours.

Mary

shazzbat 09-06-2003 05:44 PM

"A.Malhotra" wrote in message

Doreen Taylor wrote:

Can anyone help me source large plastic tanks for collecting water

please?
We have two allotments on a site with no water supply and several

other
plot
holders have these, inherited from previous gardeners.
We are in Chelmsford, Essex.

I would keep your eye on skips, tips, and plumbers vans, for water tanks/
old baths which have been removed during renovations. This saves you paying
for it and saves the plumber or whoever from paying to tip it. Most people
I've found are only too happy to let you have their junk if you mention an
allotment. I've got all manner of stuff on mine which was scrounged from
skips etc. Best to ask first though just in case. Someone said that
technically anything which has been thrown in a skip belongs to the skip
hire company, but I can't see them kicking up much of a fuss, especially
given landfill charges.

HTH

Steve