Old 24-05-2003, 12:32 PM
-= debully =-

Default regrowing llaylandai?

Just trimmed my headge.

It now has loads of dead bits along the sides.

Will these grow back or is it knackered forever, if its knackered I think
I'll just hack the lot down.

Many Thanks

debully

Old 24-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Drakanthus

Just trimmed my headge.

It now has loads of dead bits along the sides.

Will these grow back or is it knackered forever, if its knackered I think
I'll just hack the lot down.

Many Thanks

debully

Conifers don't generally put new growth out from old wood. So cutting into
the sides of your Leylandii hedge has forever exposed brown wood.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 24-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Warwick Dumas

"Drakanthus" wrote in message
Just trimmed my headge.

It now has loads of dead bits along the sides.

Will these grow back or is it knackered forever, if its knackered I

think
I'll just hack the lot down.

Many Thanks

debully

Conifers don't generally put new growth out from old wood. So cutting into
the sides of your Leylandii hedge has forever exposed brown wood.

I think if you cut it all back to the brown though, it will all grow out
green, won't it? You've just got to be a bit harsher and allow for the fact
that it will have to expand as it grows.

Old 24-05-2003, 05:46 PM
Drakanthus

Conifers don't generally put new growth out from old wood. So cutting
into
the sides of your Leylandii hedge has forever exposed brown wood.

I think if you cut it all back to the brown though, it will all grow out
green, won't it? You've just got to be a bit harsher and allow for the

fact
that it will have to expand as it grows.

Doubt it. First thing we did with our Leylandii hedge when we moved here was
cut it back all the way to the trunk. We wanted to be rid of the hedge but
thought the trunks would make a useful start as fence posts for it's
successor. One or two of them had a feeble attempt at putting out the odd
side shoot but we pulled them off and they died all together. Leylandii
doesn't put up much of a fight, easily killed in this way. Most other hedges
would have put lots of new shoots out from the old wood.

Old 24-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Peter Crosland

Will these grow back or is it knackered forever, if its knackered I think
I'll just hack the lot down.

A very wise decision!

Old 28-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Michael Berridge

Warwick Dumas wrote in message ...
Conifers don't generally put new growth out from old wood. So cutting

into
the sides of your Leylandii hedge has forever exposed brown wood.

I think if you cut it all back to the brown though, it will all grow

out
green, won't it? You've just got to be a bit harsher and allow for the

fact
that it will have to expand as it grows.

Once you have cut back past the green Leylandii, thankfully, will not
re-grow. Basically you have killed it as a hedge, and so it would be
best to get rid of it.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk