GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Jasminum officinale planting help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28601-jasminum-officinale-planting-help.html)

chris 24-05-2003 07:45 PM

Jasminum officinale planting help

Have bought this very nice plant for a birthday gift for the good
wife.

I want to put it against a wall of my house which faces east so it
gets good sun to mid morning.

The patio is getting replaced in a couple of months, but i want the
plant outside now.

Can this plant (Jasminum officinale ) be planted in a good size
pot..??

if so how small can i get away with..??

Will it be ok using organic peat free compost (i use this for my
clematis)

Chris

Nick Maclaren 24-05-2003 08:33 PM

Jasminum officinale planting help

In article ,
chris wrote:
Have bought this very nice plant for a birthday gift for the good
wife.

I want to put it against a wall of my house which faces east so it
gets good sun to mid morning.

The patio is getting replaced in a couple of months, but i want the
plant outside now.

Can this plant (Jasminum officinale ) be planted in a good size
pot..??

if so how small can i get away with..??

Will it be ok using organic peat free compost (i use this for my
clematis)

In all cases, yes. The plant is as tough as old boots, but doesn't
flower well in cold areas, and can get killed in very cold ones.
I would use a 9" pot or better, but it won't die if root bound.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Hill 24-05-2003 10:01 PM

Jasminum officinale planting help

I would put it into a pot that's about 2 inches bigger than the one its in
now , assuming its not in a 3inch pot now.
Peat compost will be OK then if it turns hot keep it somewhere shaded from
the heat of the day.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries